Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 FSB with a C6. I pulled the pan off to replace the gasket and noticed an L-shaped piece of metal that was dangling off the side of the filter... One end looks like it was broke off of something, the other end looks like it was supposed to be that way. I currently don't have a camera to use or I would get a picture. But the transmission seemed to be working just fine, except for the fact I haven't been able to manually shift it into first (so obviously not fine...)

But the piece kind of looks like: __] with the left side being the broken off end. Just kind of curious as to what it does....

I'm quite glad this didn't get pulled up in, but I'm sure I'll have to tear the transmission down to fix it. :doh0715:

·
Registered
331 Posts
that looks important... if you dont get anyone on here that can help you, maybe PM sackman9975 and miesk5

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
It's the downshift lever. The other end of it is probably still on the inner downshift rod. You can fix it without pulling the trans, but you might need to pull the valve body.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the downshift lever. The other end of it is probably still on the inner downshift rod. You can fix it without pulling the trans, but you might need to pull the valve body.
Awesome, that makes me feel a little better... Would that explain why I can't manually shift it into 1st?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Or called the kickdown rod/lever.

You can see it in this picture. And yes, you'll have to drop the valve body to fix it.

I guess you don't have passing gear anymore huh?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you don't have passing gear anymore huh?
Hehehe, nope, I haven't even had it on the road yet since I picked it up... This explains it not feeling quite right on my romp up the road. That you all so much for the help, I wasn't quite ready to pull the transmission and send it off....

How much of a pain will it be to deal with taking out the valve body? Should I clean it when it's out?

I'm really glad this isn't my daily driver.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Hehehe, nope, I haven't even had it on the road yet since I picked it up... This explains it not feeling quite right on my romp up the road. That you all so much for the help, I wasn't quite ready to pull the transmission and send it off....

How much of a pain will it be to deal with taking out the valve body? Should I clean it when it's out?

I'm really glad this isn't my daily driver.
You can fix this with the trans in the truck. You'll need to remove the valve body, 8 bolts and those are these ones circled in red. They also have the bigger head.

Leave all the smaller head bolts alone, they hold the valve body together, and the filter on too. Then you'll need to disassemble the rod from the side. You should be able to see how it comes out once you get the valve body apart. Been awhile, but I believe theres a nut on the outside that holds it in place.

In the valve body will be a plunger valve. When bolting it all back together, you'll want to make sure that rod is in proper alignment with the plunger valve. When installed correctly, it will have a springy feeling to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can fix this with the trans in the truck. You'll need to remove the valve body, 8 bolts and those are these ones circled in red. They also have the bigger head.

Leave all the smaller head bolts alone, they hold the valve body together, and the filter on too. Then you'll need to disassemble the rod from the side. You should be able to see how it comes out once you get the valve body apart. Been awhile, but I believe theres a nut on the outside that holds it in place.

In the valve body will be a plunger valve. When bolting it all back together, you'll want to make sure that rod is in proper alignment with the plunger valve. When installed correctly, it will have a springy feeling to it.
Awesome, thank you so much! Is this a part I could get at like NAPA or something? I've been searching with little results online.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Awesome, thank you so much! Is this a part I could get at like NAPA or something? I've been searching with little results online.
You might have better luck checking the local tranny shops. Or find the shop where the tranny shops get their parts from.

I'm lucky enough to have a tranny parts store a mile from my house. I might be able to get one for you, but it'll be tight as I'm working 60 hrs a week, and would probably have to make a couple of lunch trips to the shop to get the part. Look around, and if you can't locate one, I'll do my best to help you out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might have better luck checking the local tranny shops. Or find the shop where the tranny shops get their parts from.

I'm lucky enough to have a tranny parts store a mile from my house. I might be able to get one for you, but it'll be tight as I'm working 60 hrs a week, and would probably have to make a couple of lunch trips to the shop to get the part. Look around, and if you can't locate one, I'll do my best to help you out.
Will do, I'll make my rounds. You have been more than helpful, thank you so much. I owe you a beer :beer

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
No, that's a separate issue- most likely with your shift linkage.
:stupid

Probably because your truck came with an AOD tranny and someone converted it using the AOD linkage........that's my guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts