Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year is the my maiden hunting voyage in the Bronco. Decided since my 10yo daughter is excited to come with me that I’ll convert the back into a sleeper for the both of us.

Immediately noticed if I built a small platform for the rear seat foot well, I could utilize the entire space, tailgate to center console.
Wood Rectangle Outdoor furniture Flooring Road surface

A few 2x6’s as the main support, 2x4’s for reinforcement and 1/2” Plywood does the trick. I had to angle cut the 2x6’s front and back to contour to the floor pan but ended up flush.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk

Then, Started with a high density queen sized mattress and cut away the outer layers to bring it straight to the foam. After cutting about 7in away from the ends and notching out the sides to clear the d
Fender wells, ended with this.
Sky Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Last part will be putting the mattress into a waterproof sealed cover in case any moisture gets into the truck getting in or out. The high density foam and not memory foam allows me to pull all of my gear and crates on top of it without issue and softer than laying on the carpet.

Stoked to get the Bronco up in the mountains where it belongs!

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,304 Posts
I bet that mattress was fun to lift in and out, since it can't easily be slid past the wheel wells. Memory foam seems to have its own source of gravity when it comes to dragging it.

I thought about doing something similar with the rear footwell, but hinged so it can be a storage box. I like how you angled it to tuck in nice and tight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet that mattress was fun to lift in and out, since it can't easily be slid past the wheel wells. Memory foam seems to have its own source of gravity when it comes to dragging it.

I thought about doing something similar with the rear footwell, but hinged so it can be a storage box. I like how you angled it to tuck in nice and tight.
ohhhh, a hinge is a great idea…I’ll have to incorporate that into my rebuild of it after this trip.

Reactions: fodder

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,318 Posts
Dude, you don’t need that much head room….. build a slide out drawer under a platform that’s wheel well tall and put your gear under the bed!!
Although, you already notched the mattress fir the fenders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, you don’t need that much head room….. build a slide out drawer under a platform that’s wheel well tall and put your gear under the bed!!
Although, you already notched the mattress fir the fenders.
I was going to go that route but couldn’t come up with a solid enough design to be ready to roll by opening of deer season this Friday.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
57 Posts
Great idea. I like the mattress idea myself and even if its a pain to put in and out its still way better than sleeping on a bunch of stacked up sleeping bags which is what my son and I do when we are out fishing.

·
Super Moderator
29,053 Posts
Reactions: Slash32

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
57 Posts
miesk. I really like that way those look and i would have gone that route but I just finished putting together a little camp trailer with a rooftop tent to tow behind the bronco or my pickup. I'm planning on 4 linking the bronco in the future so the rear cargo area is gonna get cut up and all new sheet metal installed eventually.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,310 Posts
I dig it. Not as in depth as i was anticipating, but certainly functional. An extra pillow shoved into each wheel well cutout may make it roomier. Ive slept back there on just wool blankets, and again on an air mattress.

The trick of filling the foot well is key to sleeping in the bronco. Ive done it with a tool box and pillow. I would redo it to be a box with flip up lid. Or reposition the underside braces so you could slide long items, like a rifle case, under it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dig it. Not as in depth as i was anticipating, but certainly functional. An extra pillow shoved into each wheel well cutout may make it roomier. Ive slept back there on just wool blankets, and again on an air mattress.

The trick of filling the foot well is key to sleeping in the bronco. Ive done it with a tool box and pillow. I would redo it to be a box with flip up lid. Or reposition the underside braces so you could slide long items, like a rifle case, under it.
I really like that idea of making it more functional as a toolbox/storage area. After this trip I will definitely be adding to this setup and possible more depending on how this works out.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,310 Posts
I really like that idea of making it more functional as a toolbox/storage area. After this trip I will definitely be adding to this setup and possible more depending on how this works out.
Camping vehicles are always a work in progress. Youll keep finding things to add the more you use it.

·
Registered
1994 EB 351 E4OD
127 Posts
This is very interesting. How much room do you have between the backs of the seats and the tailgate? Ive tried to sleep in the back of my bronco before and since I couldn't stretch out I couldn't get comfortable. I left the seat in, but folded up. It looks like the seat isnt that much of a pain to take out, but I never tried to before.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
This is very interesting. How much room do you have between the backs of the seats and the tailgate? Ive tried to sleep in the back of my bronco before and since I couldn't stretch out I couldn't get comfortable. I left the seat in, but folded up. It looks like the seat isnt that much of a pain to take out, but I never tried to before.
The seat is very easy to take out… fold the back down remove the two side pins and finish flipping the seat over… the hard part is removing the spring on the bottom… sometimes they can be rusted in pretty well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts