Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in North Little ROck/ Sherwood, AR.

I would like to go up into the attic, cut into the HVAC line, place a "T" and send a small line to cool the garage down a little.

even if i only cool it 10'F i would be happy. I plan on keeping the register mostly closed. Its a double car, very high ceiling garage.

anyone see a problem with this? is there a code regulating it?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The only concerning thing to me would be that you're adding sq. footage, so your fan and compressor will be under more of a load and your airflow will go down. I have no idea by how much, but probably significant depending on the diameter of the duct you install. Sounds like a great idea. As far as regulations go, it's your house, go for it! I've been looking at one of those portable ac units for my garage. Pretty pricey tho. Wish I had a window.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just cut a hole in the wall and put in a window unit, easy to do, got a 10k BTU unit for $300. With a 2 car garage and high ceilings, you'd need a lot of btus to cool it. Running one duct and register won't make much difference at all.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think I'd go for a window unit too, or one of the new ductless air conditioners, or even a evaporator cooler. Putting a vent in to the garage might work to cool the garage, but I don't think it will cool it very well and at a cost of not cooling the house as well. Plus you'd need a way for the air to return to the house otherwise you won't get very good flow. Unless the garage doesn't seal up very good in which case you'd be loosing a lot of cool air. Or just leave the door between the house and garage cracked open a bit so the AC can suck the warm air back in.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Id doit even if just blew on me sittin in my chair drinkin beer!! :beer But i have a detatched garage...:doh0715:

·
Registered
44 Posts
With these temperatures we are having now here I do not think is would cool as much as you think it will. If it is all brick you still have that ductless idea that was put up too or even a swamp cooler if you are looking to just knock it down a little. I think the whole plumbing off of what is already there may be a bad idea and make things worse than they are.

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as i understand it, swamp coolers only really work well in DRY climates. NLR has been averaging >80 % humidity.
and the ductless ones still need an exhaust .. right, like out through a window?.. maybe up into the attic?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What I'm going to say isn't exact, but is close enough for government work.

The diameter of the duct you run to the garage will decrease the amount of air available to the rest of the house, proportionately.

Depending on when your garage was built, and since it wasn't cooled to begin with, it probably isn't insulated very well to the point that the square footage of the garage will require a disproportionately high level of BTU's to achieve the same level of cooling. So high, that frequently you will notice it in the rest of the house (dependig on the size of the house and the size of the unit).

Another major drain will be if you have a wall of the garage that receives a sun load for part or most of the day. Homes are sun dominated, and garages are often built on the side of the house that takes sunlight most frequently so as to add an airspace to that side of the house for better cooling.

Basically if you garage doesn't receive a sun load and is insulated as well as the rest of your house, you'll see a proportionate level of cooling through the house and unit run time based on square footage and the unit size.

If it receives a steady sun load and isn't insulated, triple to quadruple the footage of your garage to determine the impact on the rest of the house when compared to the unit size (and age plays in, depending on if it's EER or SEER rated and it's rating level).

In the end, I'd rent a hammer drill, knock a hole in the wall, and permanently install a nice window unit. At the same time spend a couple hundred bucks to insulate the walls, and if you have an aluminum garage door closed cell foam insulation fits real nice in the lips of the panels when cut correctly- of course.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,061 Posts
Yeah, swamp coolers aren't very effective in high humidity, or in rooms where there's no air flow. It makes the room into a swamp.

If you add a duct from the house a/c into the garage, as mentioned above, you will need someway for air to return to the main house to get back to a/c unit. Most areas require a fire rating of a few hours between the garage & house. Cutting a return vent between would defeat that fire rating, as well as causing garage fumes to enter the house.

The ductless mini split systems need a small diameter line set run from inside the room to a location outside (Roof, wall, or ground). We've had them installed on a couple of jobs where normal ducting wasn't practical, & have been impressed with how well they work. One of those jobs was an old brick building, & the system was chosen partly because of the small hole required thru the wall. They're a lot more expensive than a window unit. If it fits your budget, it's a nice, quieter setup. Both the window unit & the ductless system would keep the garage air separate from the house. Here's a video that explains the concept.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Both the window unit & the ductless system would keep the garage air separate from the house.
Didn't think of this, but it's the #1 reason to run a window unit. If you have a single air system, imagine using brake clean in the garage.

·
Registered
409 Posts
in most cities it is against code to have a return in your garage because of the fumes (car exhaust, gasoline etc.)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
In my last house the garage and my bedroom had a dedicated central air system and the rest of the house had another system and I never had any trouble with fumes or anything in the bedroom from stuff in the garage. Maybe when the house was built they took that in to account and took steps so it wouldn't be a problem but I don't know. I must say though, it was great having an AC system designed for a 2500sf house just to run a garage and a bedroom. Not many things kick ass harder then an AC'd garage.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
I second the window air conditioner for all of the above reasons.

Another thought, since you don't have a window(s) in the garage is to cut a hole in the ceiling, and mount the air conditioner there instead...Just make sure that whatever airconditioner can be mounted in any direction...

KC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts