those who have switched to hb, how is the pedal with the engine off

on my motorhome,it has hb
if engine is off, the pedal pretty much is useless and will not stop at all

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe different than the hb in both motorhomes i have had

my driveway has a slight slope ,and with engine off on both motorhomes i have owned, i cannot stop it if i let it start rolling 5mph when boost is gone
pedal is mushy and useless
brakes work amazing when engine is running
can pretty much lock up all 6 wheels on my 35ft p30 chassis with little effort

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
it is just like manual brakes with engine off

it has a direct link from the pedal to Master cylinder just like vacuum boost does

your motor home has a lot of weight to overcome you pushing on the brake pedal without any boost to make you stronger you would have the same issue with straight up manual brakes and with vacuum assist that had no reserve left in it

you can not blame HB for not being able to stop a Motorhome if it does not have any power going to it

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is just like manual brakes with engine off

it has a direct link from the pedal to Master cylinder just like vacuum boost does

your motor home has a lot of weight to overcome you pushing on the brake pedal without any boost to make you stronger you would have the same issue with straight up manual brakes and with vacuum assist that had no reserve left in it

you can not blame HB for not being able to stop a Motorhome if it does not have any power going to it
on my MH, the pedal pretty much is like pressing on a weak spring and just goes to the floor and does nothing
it has 4wh disc
start it up while pressing it and you damn near go through the windshield

maybe something up with my system

·
Registered
390 Posts
I get a single press boosted with the engine off. After that it is just like manual brakes, because it is! A steep grade or a heavy load would be a little scary with the engine off but it would be with any brake setup. I have the factory vacuum booster pedal, with the HB pedal I think that it may not be as bad with the engine off, as the "booster rod" is located to provide better leverage. I will never go back to vacuum boosted brakes!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts