Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Muscular Dystrophy which is causing degeneration in my leg muscles.
It's making long days on the trail increasingly rough on the ol clutch leg.
I've considering trying to swap over to a newer style hydro clutch setup assuming it would take less strength to operate:shrugAnyone have any experience with anything like this?? I'm not ready to surrender and go to an auto tranny just yet.
Shoot some ideas fellas.
Slim

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you running a diaphragm clutch?(easier pedal than the 3-finger type)i'm pretty sure the 80'sf-series with the 435 had hyd. clutches...may have to find one of those bells to make it work.
I'm not 100 % sure what style is in it now(factory for a 78). 80's stuff is kinda what I was thinking about.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you running a diaphragm clutch?(easier pedal than the 3-finger type)i'm pretty sure the 80'sf-series with the 435 had hyd. clutches...may have to find one of those bells to make it work.
this is true. I have a 3 finger PP right now and it is a tough bastard to push down.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
I'm not 100 % sure what style is in it now(factory for a 78). 80's stuff is kinda what I was thinking about.
Yrs would be a diaphragm type already then, Slim. Yes, a hydro setup would help a lot. The fella I'm building the Chebby-powered Scout 800 rock crawler for at the moment just this week bolted up the retofit hydro clutch kit he bought with bell-mount bracket and all from some outfit that specializes in just that retrofit kit. I'll get the link for ya..if someone else does not post it up before I find it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have a hydro clutch in my 86 f-150. Not sure which tranny. It's a 4 spd with the low gear.

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I swapped over to a 435 in my 84 and I am using a hydraulic clutch. I used the hydraulics out of an 80s(ish) 150 which came with the slave and master cyl. You will need to be sure you have the little bracket that the slave cyl mounts to. When you get it, you will HAVE to change your pressure plate. With the hydraulic vs. mechanical, you do not have preload on the mechanical like you do on the Hydraulic. You can get a specially made clutch (mine is just one step below a button) which will give you tons of friction when it is applied. If you show me your firewall and your pedal setup, I will look at it and see which year you will need.

Chris

·
Registered
904 Posts
ive used both a hydro ZF and a np-435, and i would say it takes about half as much effort to depress the ZF.. I felt like i had to roundhouse kick the 435 to get it to disengage, it was a very precise system though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts