Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time I have been collecting parts for a hydroboost swap into my bronco. Well with everything collected I did the swap today, The booster was for a 2005 excursion, the lines were custom between the excursion lines and my stock lines. All I can say is wow, my bronco has never stopped well but now it does it without question. My question is, has anyone ever done this, am I risking blowing a brake soft line or a caliper or rear wheel cylinder?

·
Registered
273 Posts
All the components are designed to take it, you just couldn't push that hard before, now you have help. Although you will pop anything that is old and close to the failing point. :popc1:

·
Registered
273 Posts
All the components are designed to take it, you just couldn't push that hard before, now you have help. Although you will pop anything that is old and close to the failing point. :popc1:

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
i have hydroboost in my bko, like joseph said anything that is old and already near the end of its service life might blow because you now have a much more consistant pressure in the brake system. that being said i did replace both my rear wheel cylinders with new ones and i havent had an issue yet. I love it. it makes towing my boat much more worry free knowing i have brakes that are up to the task.

·
always evolving
1,325 Posts
Everything should hold up if in good condition like everyone stated. hydraulic pressure squeezes those brakes ten times harder then the old booster ever could. makes a world of difference don't it?

·
Registered
411 Posts
For some time I have been collecting parts for a hydroboost swap into my bronco. Well with everything collected I did the swap today, The booster was for a 2005 excursion, the lines were custom between the excursion lines and my stock lines. All I can say is wow, my bronco has never stopped well but now it does it without question. My question is, has anyone ever done this, am I risking blowing a brake soft line or a caliper or rear wheel cylinder?
I am interested in this also; please post pics or at least a list of parts needed for successful swap.

Also, are you using stock brake rotors/calipers/drums? Thanks. :beer

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Soft lines and calipers are fine if they are in good shape. I've had no problems on the swaps I've done (including electric/hydraulic brakes on my deckover trailer, which uses 2 sets of 78 bronco disk brakes).

Not sure on wheel cyl's, as every swap I've done had 4 wheel disk.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Im currently in the middle of collecting parts to do the same thing, did you have to modify anything with the booster? I bought a new unit for a 96 F350, haven't seen it yet but would imagine it would bolt up fine? What power steering pump are you using and how is it routed?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all I did to the booster is redrill the mounting plate to fit the bronco, I have been watching and there is nothing leaking so I call it a success!

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Quick question for Mr Bell, did you use stock lines or did you custom make them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they were around .5 inch, What I did was when I took the vaccume booster out there was a plactic retaining shield for some sort of sound dampener. I took that shield since it pinched between body and booster and layed it over the hydro booster for my drill locations

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
This is somthing I'm kind of interested in doing. Since I have to upgrade my 94 broncos brakes to 1 ton anyways. Might as well do the hydro boost now. I planned to replace the booster and master cylinder all in one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts