Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Hypertech Chips and TPS

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Lonestar_Bronco 
#1 ·
I have two quick questions. 1995 Bronco 5.8L NO MAF, K&N Filter Charger system with Borla Cat Back Exhaust.
I was noticing a bit of a surge when accelerating and looked through the links to trouble shoot. Had a tune up (new rotor/cap, plug wires and plugs), fuel injectors cleaned and replaced the TPS yesterday, but problem hasn't entirely gone away. I tried to check the voltage IAW the Haynes manual, but couldn't get a good reading. Anything else I might try and any advice on how to get a good voltage reading.

Lastly, the previous owner had installed a hypertech power chip on the computer. I removed it yesterday and don't notice any difference, anybody use one of these before with any results.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Fireguy, Was hoping you'd respond. I won't take credit for putting the hypertech chip in but after removing it two days ago, I'd swear she's driving better. Is this one of those chips that is "bad" for the rig?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I left the computer off for at least 30 minutes while i took out the chip and replaced the TPS. Cleaned the TB too! Looking at pluging the coolant lines next that feed the TB.:D

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I was having a "surging" problem during acceleration. I did change out the TPS and clean out the TB, could this "crap chip" led to that problem? There's only 45K on the rig, so not sure how quickly a TPS wears out. :)

Discussion starter · #16 ·
If you think 45k is good, bought her with only 34K last October and had it brought across country. :D

Fireguy, the rig already had the KN FPK on it, how would I know if it had the MAF previously?:shrug

Discussion starter · #20 ·
So after pulling off the hypertech chip (which I believe did connect to the "J3" port) should I cover the port access with electrical tape? Don't have the original cap that went there. Also, Ryan, would putting a phelonic spacer on the intake do any good without adding headers? I have a Borla Catback currently. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.