Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Hypertech Chips and TPS

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Lonestar_Bronco 
Make sure you reset the computers memory after replacing stuff like that. Leave the battery off for 15 min

And those chips you guys are talking about are crap :brownbag

It's not "bad" or else they could be sued for damages.
But the way that chip is "suposed" to work is by lie'n to the computer. Instead of the computer reading the sensors, it tells the computer 20 deg colder, then increases the injector timing by a set amount. It handicap's the EEC from sensing engine changes over time, so it can't acomidate for an aging engine smoothly.

So mine and many other profesionals consider those chips CRAP!:boxing :beer :thumbup

yeah, the Ford EFI computer programing si the closest thing I've ever seen to AI (artifical intelegance) so it was trying to learn it's way around that chip all these years. Buy unpluging the batt and clearing the memory, it can have a fresh start of learing the real engine condition. Everything will be normal agian in a week of learning

mjgrimm407 said:
I was having a "surging" problem during acceleration. I did change out the TPS and clean out the TB, could this "crap chip" led to that problem? There's only 45K on the rig, so not sure how quickly a TPS wears out. :)
Umm, doubtfull as the crapy chip doesn't send any signals to the TPS, but it does alter the TPS signal into the computer. So it could have helped it wear out. :shrug

jojo said:
Are *any* of the chips or programmers any good?
Blaze said:
:stupid What can we use?? :shrug
Well it's hard to say for the 86-95 Speed Density computers. I haven't seen any J3 chip software that has allowed ease of re-programing them. However the 94-96 Mass Air computers have just recently been able to utilize a chip, and the Mass Air conversions can use the J3 chips.
What is a J3 chip??????

A J3 chip is a tunable module that plugs into the computers J3 port on the back of the computer:

The J3 tunable modules are OK because they do not lie to the computer. Instead of tricking the computer for perfromance, the J3 chip tells the computer corect data for optimal results. You can change the displacment, injector size, MAF size, timing tables, injector tables, firing order, idle tables, ect, ect.
Basicly the J3 chips use the stock programing, with altered values for extreme performance gains and drive-ability quality :thumbup

I have an AutoLogic and Swat now has a TwEECer :thumbup
TwEECer is the best one in the world

J3 is Fords enginering name for that connector on the back of the computer. It has nothing to do with Brand name. J3 chips are the best because they replace factory programed data, with altered data. The Computer continues to operate in a stock maner, with correct sensor data. Just with a chip it does what ever yoiu tell it too :thumbup
The so called chips that plug between the comptuer and harness are very bad. Hypertech is the Brand like this. All it does is lie about sensor data to trick a result. 75% of the time if half ass works, 25% of the time the chip and computer are fighting and bad stuff hapens. BAD STUFF :crazy

I don't recomend anything for a stock engine / vehicle. Ford did a kick ass job programing and doesn't need any chip help on stock engines or mildly modifyed engines. If you have built a performance engine for that truck I sugest calling Tweecer for your 96 MAF truck.

1911copper said:
How much do these chips run?
Cost is about $350 for a generic one, $450-600 for a custom of laptop tuned versions. And you get what you pay for/

1911copper said:
Fireguy, I'm assuming just headers, hi-flow cats and flowmaster would fit into the "stock-to-mildly modified" catagory?
Nope you need to change the programed values for it to need a chip. Like displacment, injector size, blower, ect.
Typically imporving flow doesn't need a chip, but crazy trickflow heads, 3" headers, and a race intake could need a chip.
there are only a few Cams that are safe with the stock computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.