Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an 85 Bronco with an 300 I-6 engine and a standard 3 speed with OD trannie. How is this combo? and is the 300 a good engine?

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
That's the same setup my 81' used to have.

The 300L6 is an excellent engine, IMO. Smooth running, bulletproof and ultra reliable. It should be a good combination.

BTW--If you decide you want an automatice in the future, a C6 swaps in quite easily.

·
Registered
787 Posts
and has more TORQUE than the 302!

It IS a sweet engine.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Let's not forget about a little bit of porting either.

300 + T18 (which is the transmission I'm guessing that it's got) = bulletproof combo. This is what my truck currently has. Nice set up for hard work. I don't really have any complaints about it.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
its great for rocks: great low end torque, lightweight, reliable, efi swapped from later models, t18 has nice low gears

just dont try to pass anyone on the highway

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
he said standard 3 speed plus OD... does the knob say push down on the drivers side and "R"

If so thats an SROD, not a T-18.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's similar to the setup I have. It's a top loader with OD. Known as a TOD. http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html
Works well on the trail but not to swift at hiway speeds.
But it is still stock. The mods mentioned above will make a huge improvement.
Go to fordsix.com for info on building the I6-300.
:D

·
Registered
677 Posts
a great engine of course i'm partial. got a np 435 behind mine and it ain't bad at all, with 200k and 31's on with clifford intake 390 4bbl holley, and efi manifolds, i was able to spin tires if i throttled it good. like said read around www.fordsix.com large amounts of info there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Leonard said:
a great engine of course i'm partial. got a np 435 behind mine and it ain't bad at all, with 200k and 31's on with clifford intake 390 4bbl holley, and efi manifolds, i was able to spin tires if i throttled it good. like said read around www.fordsix.com large amounts of info there.

Leonard,
what kind of hiway speed does it run comfortably with the NP435 and what gears do you have.

thx

Jim

·
Registered
677 Posts
well i've got 33's on there now and with recently discovered 3.08 gears, thought i had 3.55's imagine my disappointment, i usually run 55-60 on the speedo and it sounds good and level. can cruise faster but with unbalanced mt's the ride gets a little rough.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
300s are not light weight they weigh as much or more than a 351w. 302s are light weight. Trust me I've been doing mechine work for about six years. They're heavy bastards!

·
Registered
759 Posts
4.10 gears 32 mts np435 trans and ported and borded over 40 300 with 390 holley and clifford intake with efi manifolds and i can pass on the freeway with ease

i wouldnt trade motors ever. i still get reasonable gas mileage

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
ive got a 300 long block in my garage, for if/when i need my 302 replaced...

·
Registered
199 Posts
my dad bought a 84 with the I6.....the dealer and motor trend and everyone else said AT THE TIME...the I6 was better for wheeling. The I6 is what a TRUE DIESEL is from.......anyway that is what everyone and everybody said about the I6 during the 80's

it all comes down in what you want and what you are going to use it for IMO!? None the less......great strong engine!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts