Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bid on an item or 5 without hitting the "calculate shipping" button.

:doh0715:

The person selling these items apparently chose to circumvent some Ebay fees by massively jacking up the shipping and starting them at .99, and I didn't check it.

:duh

So when I won a few things for what I considered good prices, I was shocked that my $68 in items would cost about $200 just in shipping (plus the $68). That's for USPS parcel post. For about 150 miles. On maybe 10 pounds total of goods. Including $85 just to ship one multimeter (maybe 2 pounds? 4?).

:goodfinge

I replied that I would risk my perfect feedback before I'd pay that kind of shipping, and got back a short screed about people that don't read the entire auction, and how everything this person had done was aboveboard and okay.

I sent back a link to Ebay's seller's rules about circumventing fees, specifically with the huge shipping surcharge trick. I closed that email with "I haven't reported you yet. The next step is up to you."

:twak

I got back an "oops, I made a mistake, thanks for catching it", and a slight reduction in fees, getting the total for shipping down to about $150. What a discount. This person also included a note to the effect of "I do not combine shipping, ever", even though at the bottom of 4 out of 5 of the auctions, there was this line: "Save on shipping - buy additional items now from this seller's other listings!"

I hope this isn't going to go to arbitration. I like having a perfect Ebay feedback.

:banghead

So, if you see an auction by a person in Ohio claiming to be an independent tool salesman who's auctioning off their whole truck full of tools, and the truck, be sure to check shipping *very* carefully. Especially if their Ebay username is the name of an older Dodge car that used to be commonly used as a police car, followed by a large displacement Mopar engine size.

Let my error be a lesson to you. Always check shipping first.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
sewiv said:
Always check shipping first.
good point, i have a system

#1 find my item
#2 find the price/current bid
#3 scroll to the bottom and read shipping notes and fine print

if that looks ok

#4 i scroll back up and read description/look at pictures
#5 bid or move on :thumbup

hope you can work this out somehow to keep your feedback

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
I sent back a link to Ebay's seller's rules about circumventing fees, specifically with the huge shipping surcharge trick. I closed that email with "I haven't reported you yet. The next step is up to you."
you can have the entire auction canceled and it won't go on your record... unless you think knocking shipping down to 150 was sufficient and fair ....if you don't think that was enough then ask him to cancel the auctions... if he wont then report the bastard for circumventing fees... oh and read the whole thing next time:thumbup

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's going to be my next suggestion. Just forget it ever happened, and he can sell that stuff to some other sucker.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
dsotmoon said:

#1 find my item

if that looks ok

#5 bid or move on
You forgot checking Feedback of the seller. ;)

If I'm lookin' for something that has multiple listings - like DVDs for example, I'll also check the seller's other items to see if any of the possibilities might also have something else I'm looking for. Saves me on shipping in the long run if I can get a couple DVDs from the same person.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea there is a guy that sells neon signs that i want, only like 10 bucks....but his shipping is 200. :twak

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
So, if you see an auction by a person in Ohio claiming to be an independent tool salesman who's auctioning off their whole truck full of tools, and the truck, be sure to check shipping *very* carefully. Especially if their Ebay username is the name of an older Dodge car that used to be commonly used as a police car, followed by a large displacement Mopar engine size.
Why don't you really piss him off and tell him you have a friend in Ohio willing to pick it up?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
Why don't you really piss him off and tell him you have a friend in Ohio willing to pick it up?

ha ha hell yeah. then there will be a handling fee

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, he specifically, in very large type, has "NO LOCAL PICKUP" in the ads.

Well, we finally came to an agreement. We're going to stop talking to each other, he's going to cancel the auctions and relist everything, and we'll just pretend none of it ever happened.

Which is a load off my shoulders, let me tell you. I was prepared to spend $100 or so on tools this week, not $300. Now I can buy my MSD ignition hop-ups. :thumbup

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
sewiv said:
Actually, he specifically, in very large type, has "NO LOCAL PICKUP" in the ads.
Okay then tell him there is a 6' Bronco Driving psychomaniac with a VEEEERY bad attitude that wants to have a chat with him.

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
840 Posts
hey maybe it was the same guy who charged me $50 to ship me 1 crappy lockout...ya live and learn on ebay...and ya always learn the hard way
ya know you can retract your own bid if the auction hasn't ended or he can cancel your bid without having to end the auction and relist it. If this guys sells alot he already knows this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got the same lesson:banghead a while back new Ford floormats pair Dark Charcoal 92,93 only $19.99 :chili: , shipping charge $40.00 UPS:lowblow :doh:. I always read the entire listing now before bidding.
Live and learn.:twak Live and let Die:enforce

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,499 Posts
Yea... you would think eBay would pay better attention to this kinda crap.
I was looking to replace my mouse recently and I shit you not... one guy had a $20 shipping fee. For freakin' PC mouse!?! Total BS!

I sold a Die set to a guy recently. I screwed up the listing and didn't make it PayPal only. Well, dude won but wanted to snail mail me a money order.
Well... didn't have much choice but to allow it. Going through some of the recent crap I have been, I had a brainfart and put down the entire address correctly, except for the street name.
Well... it's been 3 weeks now and the guy wants if bad. I corrected the mistake and had him send it back again to the right address after waiting for it to make it back to him.

Since I farked up, I knocked $10 of the price, plus will pay all shipping myself.
Good thing I didn't need that money... yea right! :banghead
Could have spent the weekend in Fargo with my son, but didn't have the money I should have to get there and back. Sometimes eBay can suck!

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
I sell a lot on E-bay, and when I give the shipping qutoe, I tell you the Size, weight and how much (if I had to buy the box), that way if it seems high to you, you can go to fedex.com and enter in the details and see the same quote I gave.
There are still a few honest E-bay people

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
...claiming to be an independent tool salesman who's auctioning off their whole truck full of tools, and the truck,...
Big red flag right there.

Shipping? Sign up for a UPS account (it's free), print your own shipping label, and send it to the seller. That way, you only have to worry about packaging and "handling" fees. I do that when I buy something from somebody on this board. It's quick, convienent and easy, and it helps the seller.

Two reasons not to do business on eBay...
  • Spammers harvest account e-mail addresses and sell them,
  • You never can have confidence in who you deal with.

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
dsotmoon said:

#1 find my item

if that looks ok

#5 bid or move on :thumbup

hope you can work this out somehow to keep your feedback

Beestard, you stole my plan :toothless j/k
I look for the buy now option on alot of stuff though.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
This is like the most common ebay scam ever, $.99 for a 1 gig memory card BuyItNow, and $60 shipping type shit. If you got burnt, its really your own fault. All I can say. Sorry. Good luck in the future.

It does appear that ebay does *nothing* to monitor or police anything related to shipping charges.

This is the crap that gives us ebay sellers a bad rap. But, my auctions are always above board, everything is plainly posted, and I stick to what my auction says. And, I charge realistic shipping. Like a desktop scanner that sold for $2, the shipping I had listed was $6, and they only paid me $8 total, just like the auction stated.

Anyway, read first, then bid or buy. :)

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
i wish you would just post this ebay scammer's name...i'd like to find some of his bids and send him "friendly" messages:thumbup

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
jackhart said:
i wish you would just post this ebay scammer's name...i'd like to find some of his bids and send him "friendly" messages:thumbup
I still think me parking my Bronk on the hood of his car and then getting out with the mossberg and asking to pick up a multimeter is a better idea

1 - 20 of 27 Posts