Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make my own bumper but I would like to know if anyone keeps a diagram with measurements that could share with me. I would consider all type of bumper designs (front and rear).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought it would be easy having something to work with from the start. I am not an experience fabricator, so I didn't want to end with a crapy job if I do it as I go.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
That's understandable, but you need to know that's not how most of the guys on here built theirs. Yes, some guys do the whole autoCAD thing, but most go in completely the opposite direction. If you have doubts build a mockup out of card board. I don't start off of a measured drawing because generally my plan evolves as the building process goes on, having a measured drawing to work off of isn't that helpful to me. You need to look at a bunch of bumper pics, get an idea in your head of what you want to build, measure your frame horns and commence to building a bumper that will fit onto them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
If you have doubts build a mockup out of card board. .
This is actually a pretty good idea. I will build one on the truck with cardboard which is obviously a lot easier to modify. Then take it apart and cut the pieces I will need for the fabrication.
Thanks for your input.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
I just had an idea in my head from looking at tons of other bumpers and made a combo of the best I liked from each.

I like hard board (luan?) better since cardboard tends to sag and bend when you don't want it to.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
you need a second person and a tape measurer.

I used a 2x4 to mock up my trailer bumper, but it has uprights and I wanted to see where they would hit on the taillights

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
90Beater said:
I like hard board (luan?) better since cardboard tends to sag and bend when you don't want it to.
Yeah, I'm using hardboard for a mock up of the winch bumper I'm working on right now. Hardboard & duct tape are much more pliable than the 1/4" diamond plate the bumper will be made of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts