Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas let me hear, your opinions, and vast years of knowledge please. (don't hold back)

This Winter my wife has turned "Ma Hunt Truck" into her daily driver to and from work (about 7-8 miles round trip). "Ma Hunt Truck" is now putting out black smoke on a consistent basis and boy oh mighty can you tell when that thing is coming down the street. I'd post pictures but I'm a bit embarrased. A city worker has even asked if he could pass my name onto the City so I could help them with the Mosquito population here.

I have no clue what is causing the black smoke, so any serious opinions would be appreciated.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Tell your wife to stop mixing oil with the gas when she fills up

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Black smoke is generally oil and white or blue is usually gas, isn't it? How does the exhaust smell? Might give you an idea what it is.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:twak You've got that completely wrong. Black almost always,usually, indicates rich, as in too much gas. Other colors....we'll leave to a later time.

Yah, be sure she didn't put diesel in there, too. :rofl:

Check for the usual things that will make it run rich: vacuum leaks, carburetor malfunctions, etc.

The vacuum leaks are the FIRST thing to look for, imho. Be sure the base gasket is good and the carburetor mounting nuts are tight. Move on to vacuum lines (ALL of 'em, but one at a time). After those [nearly] free checks, I think it'd be time to consider the carburetor as the source. Is the choke sticking? How are the gaskets? Has the float level been checked? When's the last time a rebuild was done?

Hope this helps.

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
unburned fuel coming out exhaust will be white. over rich applications will put out a bunch of carbon. Check your fuel metering and timing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
no it wont be white, that would be burned anti freeze....black would be gas, blue would be oil...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Why not just look for codes......with a bit of luck your own truck will point you in the right direction.

On a side note......it sounds to me like you could have a injector thats stuck open......but since I dont know if you got a carb of EFI.
Somehow one of,....or all of the cylinders are getting way too much fuel......IMHO

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Streetgang said:
but since I dont know if you got a carb of EFI.

Looks like a carb from his superford site.

WSentertainment.com - Remember to tell people what you have so they can give the best advice possible. Or put it in your sig so you never have to remember.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Check your gas mileage if it hasn't dropped vary much and all your spark plugs look the same check your oil level i would say diesel in the gas .

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Worst case scenario would be bad rings correct?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would say def not diesel in the gas, at my fathers shop has seen that a lot, you are describing a vey rich miture, let me guess bad mpg too?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
psygn0sis said:
take off the air cleaner... stick your finger in the carb and open the throttle (ALL THIS WITH THE ENGINE OFF) and then smell your finger... smell like gas ?? or diesel ?

if it's gas.... do a compresion test

my 2 cents..

Dude, if we are ever working on a truck together and you turn around and say "smell my finger" we're gonna have words......

That picture definitely indicates a carbureutor, when is the last time it has been cleaned/adjusted/rebuilt?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Lol, I have 310K and no somking or leaking.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
tonythetiger57 said:
Lol, I have 310K and no somking or leaking.
I have 347K. :thumbup

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reply to Sigepblue "Carb?"

SigEpBlue said:
:I think it'd be time to consider the carburetor as the source. Is the choke sticking? How are the gaskets? Has the float level been checked? When's the last time a rebuild was done?
Sig this record here shows that I replaced the carberator with a brand new/rebuilt one in October 05. So the Carb has roughly only about 50 miles at the most on it since then.

I'll begin to look into the Vacuum leak issue, not sure how to do it, but a friend of mine has replaced one line for me because he said that it was causing a terrible vacuum leak.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reply to Scorpionboy

ScorpionBoy said:
unburned fuel coming out exhaust will be white. over rich applications will put out a bunch of carbon. Check your fuel metering and timing.

Scorpion, this hit the nail right on the head.

I can tell that yes it is putting out ALLOT of CO2

How do I Check the Fuel Metering, and How do I check the timing?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts