Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was out wheeling this past weekend and blew my C-6 apart. I performed a "neutral drop" on accident. I was in reverse and spinning, so I tried to drop to drive, but instead only went to neutral. Then I hit the gas. I then realized I wasn't in "drive", so w/ the RPM's up I dropped it to drive (not thinking), and heard a loud pop. I tried placing it in all gears, but none would engage. When trying to place it back in park it clicks loudly. Anyone experienced this before?? Any ideas on how to repair it?? Just a lil extra info for ya. The truck has a 400M and a C-6. The driveshaft/rear gear/u-joints intact. Any info is appreciated. Also if you have a C-6 you wish to sell please reply to my thread in the "For Sale" forum.

Thanks,
Tiny

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
install a np-435 in place of the C-6 :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jopes said:
install a np-435 in place of the C-6 :D
I wish I could, but I'm working on a budget, and a short time span.

·
Registered
506 Posts
when you put it in park it clicks like a gear on gear noise? I am thinking maybe your tranny is fine and your t-case let go inside. Let's say your t-case is in neutral. if you move it to any gear you won't move. you put it in park it growls at you because the tailshaft is spinning like crazy when you stuff it in park. Check to see that your t-case didn't pop into neutral when you hit it hard. mine has done this a couple of times.

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
I'm leaning more towards the T-Case as well........ somthing to check for sure

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Try putting the t-case in 4hi or 4lo and lock the front hubs, see if you move or not. Last time I had that happen, I was in FWD (no rear driveshaft) and I forgot to lock one of my front hubs. Wouldn't go anywhere but would ratchet whenever trying to put it in park.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Badblack88 has it right. The clicking noise you hear when trying to put it into park, is the parking pawl trying to engage on a spinning output shaft. So, more than likely your T-case is in neutral. Not time to spend the big bucks yet (but don't do that again).

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I tried the transfer case thing, but... Apparently there is a rod on the transfer case that puts it in hi or low, and another that locks it in. I got it to lock in, but as soon as I fired it up and put it in drive I heard it dis-engage, and the truck would not move. Any ideas?? A friend of mine said he would sell me a NP208 for $50. Good condition out of an '88 Bronco (Is that right?) I'll post some pics, because I am not sure what transfer case I have.

·
Registered
506 Posts
nah, np208's didn't come in 88s. They have a borg warner 1356 or possibly 1345.

·
Registered
506 Posts
:stupid What is the t-cas made of? is it aluminum-looking or is is cast Iron?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts