Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search alot and cant find the whole answer I need for my year. (1994 302 EFI)
Im trying to get my rig inspected and there giving me shit. The smog pump has a internal bearing thats aparantly bad and making a noise, sounds like a desiel motor for the first few minites when I start it. There tellin me I have to replace it (there cast $ 300 +) because it may be leaking fumes?? I think I got them talked into giving me the sticker but I was looking for a write up on how to gut it so it will still pass. I know it would be nice to remove it but I need visual working inspection here. So i was looking for help on how to gut the pump to eliminate the bad bearing noise before it locks up. And then its still there for the next inspection ... and emmissions are comming back here to soon.
If I missed it on my search, sorry, go ahead and flame away.
If i did, guide me to it and delete this tread.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
its no $300
it also cant leak fumes out the pump, as there is a check valve in the system to stop it from coming back up in case of pump failure.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Finally a post I can answer with absolute certainity. Just so long as your 94 smog pump is no different then my 88. I gutted mine in the parking lot of my Apartment complex with very basic tools. Now I have no pics, but it s a pretty simple task that I can walk you through.

Now starts the long post:

First thing you want to do is pull the pump off, if I remember correctly there is no reason to pull the pully off. There are a few bolts on the back, you want to take all those off. Once you have all the bolts off, you are going to want to pry the back off the smog pump. It will be tricky because there are some metal dowels that help hold the back in place. Just keep prying. Also, you will learn that the back has a metal pole attached to it that runs down the center of the smog pump to the back of the pulley. The fins are attached to bearings that this pole goes through so it will be ackward to get it off, but if you keep working at it, it will eventually come off. Once it is off, you will have the back plate with the metal pole attached to it, and then the smog pump. Set the back plate aside. Inside the smog pump you will see what looks like a coffee canister inside the smog pump. There should be two or three fins in there. Sorry I can't remember if it's two or three. Each fin (as you will be able to tell) are suppose to stick out slots in the coffee canister. The way it works is the canister spins with the pulley, the fins spin with the can. The air is moved on the outside of the can and the fins push it. The fins only stick out a fwe millameters from the canister so as to come in close contact with the inside edge of the smog pump. The fins are what need to be removed to stop pushing air, stop making bearing noise, and stop almost all the resistance on your motor. Now you will tell that the fins will not come out of the coffee canister without some machine work....that is they won't come out with the bearings still attached. So to gut the smog pump, essentially, you have to break the bearings off of the fins, then remove the fins and bearings seperately. Basically the fins and bearings look kinda like one side of a hinge. Each fin has three bearings on it, one top, one center, and one on the bottom. The trick to removing the bearings is to work on one fin at a time, do your best to position the other fins out of the way so they don't keep the bearings from breaking off, you'll see what I mean. The top on is the easiest. Get a good hammer and a flat head screwdriver. Place the tip of the screwdriver on the edge where the fin meets the bearing. Use the hammer to "persuade" the bearing to let go of the fin. After some persuasion, the bearing will break free and can be removed. Do the same on the middle one. Now the bottom one is a little trickier. Since it is close to the bottom of the coffe can (the closest to the front of the smog pump) the bearing will only give a little until it starts to hit the bottom of the coffee can. The trick is to position the bearing on top of another bottom bearing. Then use the hammer to hit the top of the fin. As the fin starts to go down, the bearing will break loose. Once all three bearings are broken off, the fin will come out. If there is three fins, do the same as with the second one until all three bearings are off and remove the fin. Now for the third fin (or the second if there were only two) break the top and middle bearings off just like the other ones. On the bottom one, what I did was put two of the broken bearings back in the coffee can, stack then on top of eachother on the bottom of the coffee can, then but the bottom bearing of the last fin on top of those two bearings. Use the hammer to hit the top of the last fin until the bearing breaks loose. Then the fin and all three bearings will come off. After that, put the backing plate back on, bolt it back together and put it back on your truck. That's it, I know it sounds complicated, and once you get the back plate off, it looks like you just delved into something you shouldn't, but it really is easy. Please PM me if you have any questions. Or if you are really parinoid about starting it without completely understanding what I wrote, PM me and I will give you me cell, you can call me once you get into it.

Standard "I do not want to be sued over this" statement
Obviously any and all liability is absolved of me if you try this. This is simply a suggestion of how it can be done, and by no means guarentees you couldn't do damage to your vehicle.

Good Luck:thumbup

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Narzuhl said:
Not sure if you can gut it out, but a reman one from Advanced auto is only like 44 bucks :confused:

You can it very easily. Not but maybe an hour of effort.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
94 XLT BRONCO said:
Thanks alot SMOOTH :thumbup wow...
Thanks Narzuhl:thumbup
Your welcome!:thumbup

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, wanted to thank you again for the help, I replaced my air pump myself tonight. $ 40 at advanced auto, took me more than an hour though ... Had a hell of a time getting the bolt on the back out :banghead It was just a PITA to get to and it was seized up, but finally got it. Other than that it was easy. :thumbup
I know its not a big deal for alot these guys on here but for me it was an accomplishment. This site has taught me alot and I just cant wait now to fix bigger things, and mods myself. :toothless

Thanks All :beer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts