Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fixing my rear brake line I smashed flat with a jack. I was using the jack to push from the inside of the frame to a rock to push the rig a little... another long stupid story. Anyhow, I double flared the new line and installed it. No big deal really. So all I needed to do next is bleed the rear brakes.

I went to the garage, grabbed the white pint bottle with the red cap off the shelf, popped the cover off the master cylinder, and proceeded to top off the master cylinder. But what came out of the bottle wasn't brake fluid... It was Turtle Wax Chrome Polish! AAAAAAAAGH!

I freaked out, grabbed a rag and stuffed it into the MC to absorb all the fluid in the cavity, took it back out, wiped the inside of the MC out with rags, broke the line loose ahead of the proportional valve, went and got the REAL brake fluid bottle, and started pouring it through the MC into the drain pan to flush out the chrome polish. After I ran a pint through it it was running through clear, but I ran another pint through to be sure and then reassembled the lines and bled the brakes.

The brakes are fine now, I never pushed the pedal until the MC was all flushed out so I think it will be alright but I will never just grab a bottle with the label rubbed off and pour the contents into my Bronco again. That was pretty dumb. :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I thought you were going to say you flared the line before putting the nut on. I can't even remember how many times I've done that.

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
I thought you were going to say you flared the line before putting the nut on. I can't even remember how many times I've done that.
Meany time:haha
Have seen a few guys use PS fluid,Brake fluid + PS fluid bottles for convenient stores look the same.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
your dedicated Jim. You must have some OCD if your starting to wax the insides of the brake lines. Whats next? Going to wax your ring and pinions? :goodfinge

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Hey, at least your brake lines will be nice and shiny on the inside.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
:haha: Yea...that sucks...

Deffinatly done the flare and forgot to put the nut on...makes ya feel stupid...and if you do it multiple times, it blows even more. :rofl:

KC

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Back in highschool me and a friend were out in his 68 F250 on his family's property, 10 miles in on steep logging roads, and he lost his brakes due to a leak he didn't know about untill the master went dry and got an air pocket in the line. We didn't want to drive the roads out of there with them all steep and on the side of a canyon with very weak brakes, and we wern't about to walk, and we didn't have any brake fluid, so we poured some bottled water in there and bled the brakes out. Worked great untill we could flush everthing out in the auto shop a few days later.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Back in highschool me and a friend were out in his 68 F250 on his family's property, 10 miles in on steep logging roads, and he lost his brakes due to a leak he didn't know about untill the master went dry and got an air pocket in the line. We didn't want to drive the roads out of there with them all steep and on the side of a canyon with very weak brakes, and we wern't about to walk, and we didn't have any brake fluid, so we poured some bottled water in there and bled the brakes out. Worked great untill we could flush everthing out in the auto shop a few days later.
i used trans fluid once in a similar situation. got me out, and got me home... good times :beer

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
We have this coolant system flush stuff and the bottle looks just like the brake fluid other than the writing on it an one of the brainiac in the parts room put them next to each other. I needed to add some fluid to a car and without know i put coolant flush in the brake system and i had some left over and a few weeks later i noticed what it was but i don't remember the car i put it in. :doh0715:

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
We have this coolant system flush stuff and the bottle looks just like the brake fluid other than the writing on it an one of the brainiac in the parts room put them next to each other. I needed to add some fluid to a car and without know i put coolant flush in the brake system and i had some left over and a few weeks later i noticed what it was but i don't remember the car i put it in. :doh0715:
just one more reason I refuse to have anyone work on my vechiles.

Another reason to use a new, sealed container of brake fluid.
I have always bought brake fluid by the quart and it has typically been in a goofy looking quart bottle.

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
That's about as bad as the local garage that re-built a tranny in a Dodge Cordoba, filled it with SAE 30, and then wondered why it pulled really great until it got warm. Needless to say, THAT tranny got RE-re-built again...

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Just yesterday at work, a guy installed a new tranny and when he was almost done he was filling the tranny and radiator at the same time. The fluids both come in black gallon size jugs. He grabbed one and started pouring into the tranny. Busy talking to the guy next to him, he put almost a half gallon of coolant in the tranny! Just after that he was told that he was no longer needed and I had to clean up his mess.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Another reason to use a new, sealed container of brake fluid.
No, another reason to pay the f%&k attention to simple detail. Having said that, I had a truly dumbs#!t moment when I grabbed the bottle of P/S fluid to put in the P/S reservoir and instead poured it into the M/C reservoir! That's why you pay attention to simple detail.:banghead

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a similar situation, only it involved my 3 month old sons baby bottle being too close to a frosty mug, and a can of beer...

He slept good that night.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The comments are great. Ive done stuff like that, like putting the spindle nut in without a bearing, twice, but can say that up to this point I have not doen this with 2 fluids

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
So I'm not the only one.. Cept last time I cut off the nut, put it down. Grabbed the flare tool, and double flared it. Only to realize i grabbed the old nut... DOH!!!! :banghead

1 - 20 of 20 Posts