Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to install my new tfi... followed the haynes to get the distributor off. I Marked where my timing was with chalk in two places. and marked what position the rotor was in. After installing the TFI, i lined all my marks back up, everything seemed ok. went to crank it and it cranks really funny, with the tach showing jumps all over the place. after it fires, it idles around 1500, and then drops to 800ish and runs really rough, and eventually dies. It dies faster if i give it gas and let off.

any ideas? should i just loosen the distributor and play with the timing? does the new TFI just do that the first couple starts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
When you dropped the distributor back in you probably got it a tooth off (easy to do.)

You can try adjusting it, but with the TFI there, your range is limited. If it were mine, I'd pull the number one plug, bump the engine around to TDC on the compression stroke, drop the distributor back in with the rotor pointing to #1.

That way you can also drop the distributor back in where it will give you the most room for adjusting the timing too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i got the rotor on #1, not sure how to tell if it is the compresson storke or not.... but the timing is wayyyy off.

here is a pic from under the truck, with the pointer just out of view. the red hash is 0

so now i want to get it to 0 right? how do i go about doing that?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Get a remote starting device to allow you to bump the engine over with #1 spark plug out. Place your thumb (or a friend's) over the spark plug hole and do small bumps until the thumb is pushed off by air pressure. By using short bumps on the remote starter, bring the piston up (you can put a pencil into the spark plug hole to ride on the piston....(NOT A SCREWDRIVER) to more easily see the piston's movement. When it's at the top of travel (Top Dead Center-- TDC), look at your timing mark. If it's close to the 10 degree mark you're at TDC on the compression stroke. Then look at your rotor to determine if it's pointing at #1 wire. If not do the above over. As Ironclad wrote, position the distributor to give the most room for future timing adjustments. IIRC on a Ford small block, just one tooth off on the distributor shaft is worth 15-20 degrees of timing.

Just missed your above post.....looks like you've solved the problem. However you'll want to reset your timing with the engine running to ensure it's at spec.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a remote starting device to allow you to bump the engine over with #1 spark plug out. Place your thumb (or a friend's) over the spark plug hole and do small bumps until the thumb is pushed off by air pressure. By using short bumps on the remote starter, bring the piston up (you can put a pencil into the spark plug hole to ride on the piston....(NOT A SCREWDRIVER) to more easily see the piston's movement. When it's at the top of travel (Top Dead Center-- TDC), look at your timing mark. If it's close to the 10 degree mark you're at TDC on the compression stroke. Then look at your rotor to determine if it's pointing at #1 wire. If not do the above over. As Ironclad wrote, position the distributor to give the most room for future timing adjustments. IIRC on a Ford small block, just one tooth off on the distributor shaft is worth 15-20 degrees of timing.

Just missed your above post.....looks like you've solved the problem. However you'll want to reset your timing with the engine running to ensure it's at spec.
thanks so much! i will reset the timing when i finish the sixlitre tune up :beer workin on it right now.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just got done with the sixlitre tune up and installed the new TFI. I havent had time to do the timing, but it seems pretty sluggish right now. also it seems to idle low, maybe 550 RPM. Hopefully advancing the timing tomorrow will bring some power back

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
well i turned the balencer so that it was at 0, and then reset the distributor in for cyl #1, and its running fine now. should that have solved it?
the dizzy should be dropped in at 0*TDC, then i beleive while its runing its supposed to be at 10* factory, the six upgrade needs a 13* more/less, i hope that helps when you time it, let us know how the ignition and timing bump does for your MPG gains

did you gap the plugs to?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the dizzy should be dropped in at 0*TDC, then i beleive while its runing its supposed to be at 10* factory, the six upgrade needs a 13* more/less, i hope that helps when you time it, let us know how the ignition and timing bump does for your MPG gains

did you gap the plugs to?
ya i gapped to .055, but havent bumped to 13-14* yet, im going over to a freinds house today to use his light.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Don't forget to remove the spOUT jumper before setting the baseline timing.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
It's there. Trace up from your distributor's TFI ignition module wiring harness. It might be taped to the side of the harness, but it's there.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
It looks like this......

The gray piece pulls out. (Don't lose it ;)

It's in there somewhere. Mine hangs right under the front of my distributor. This one looks like it is up near the driver side firewall.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
It shouldn't be up THERE with the TFI module down on the distributor....but okay. :shrug

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
I just figured it was a TFI from the distributor to the fender well relocation or wondered if that's how the late models with the TFI on the fender wall are? :scratchhe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.