Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smilie_slap OK i feel like one of the most dumbest person in the world right now.so i kept losing coolant out of my engine some were so i thought it was the head gasket. so i am in the middle of, well almost done putting everything together i was putting on the lower intake manifold on and i was just about to put my foot on the frame to get some balance, when i see some thing hanging out of my motor mount. i reach down to grab it and i was my f'n freeze plug! i don't have a freeze plugs on both sides of the engine right next to the motor mounts. i feel so retarded right now. lol . but i looked up the parts. for a kit of freeze plugs for a 302 is only $11.95. thank god its cheap. but i was wondering since i am missing only two plugs, one on each side, both next to the motor mounts. would i have to pull the motor? or lift the motor up a little and remove the motor mounts? then try installing plugs? i never had installed freeze plugs before. is there a cretin way to put them in? can someone please help me and give me some advice? thanks.

1990 ford bronco 5.0l 302

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good thing you found it. It's not stupid, a learning experience. Getting the old freeze plug out is the first hard part. Yes, you may have to lift the engine (floor jack) and remove the motor mount and/or the exhaust. Getting the new one in is also difficult, be careful not to damage the hole. They sell an installation tool, but getting the tool up in the tight space is not easy. The install tools I have seen, you have to hammer on them. I think they intend that you use the tool when you are rebuilding the engine and have it on an engine stand. The freeze plugs are a press in fit and they need to be in tight so they don't blow out again. Take your time.
Good Luck, let us know how it went.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts