Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had 8 lug front and rear axles. Im not sure what type they are, but for $65 each are they worth it? It also still had the 4 speed trans and transfer case.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
88 bronco custom said:
It had 8 lug front and rear axles. Im not sure what type they are, but for $65 each are they worth it? It also still had the 4 speed trans and transfer case.
$65 each is a good price, even its a 44 front... if its a 60 (not likely, but quite possible), its a major freakin steal.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
88 bronco custom said:
44 front/60 rear except for a few rare F-250s that did have 60s. If it has balljoint knuckles, it's the D44. About the best you can get for a 44 swap ..especially if you are going leaf spring. If you are going coil, life would be easier with the D44 out of a '76-79 F150 or 78/79 Bronco.

Tranny would be T-18 or N-435 and probably a 205 Tcase since few 3/4s were full-time 203s.

$65 each for the axles seems quite fair, from what I see around here in MD.

·
Registered
236 Posts
88 bronco custom said:
That is a very good find. :shocked I see them usually $200-400 complete.

You could sell the bare Knuckles for the price of the front axle.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
If 65 gets you radius arms, rad arm brackets, trac bar and mount, brakes/hubs, and whatever else you can pilfer then go for it. Even the rear axle (Dana 60) is a good buy for 65. A good deal on a D44 with all that stuff attached to it for sale is 100-150, and an ok deal is 200-300. See if you can even get the driveshafts from it, you never know if they'll let ya.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
were the f250 d44's Low pinion.. Or is that just me confusing years??

its a good axel as long as you want the leaf set up. I would rather run coils then leafs with a half ton axel but thats just me

Did the f250's have the actually heavy duty 44? with the .5" tube walls??

DC

·
Registered
236 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
Did the f250's have the actually heavy duty 44? with the .5" tube walls??DC
In my book, no high pinion was a Heavy Duty Dana 44, it's all about the hubs...

DcSkater602,
I saw a 4-6 great Ford axle at 2 different U-pulls. One was in Horsehead, NY the other 1 hour west. It'd be a good day trip, and this info is 11 months old.. but the point is that u-pull yard had more "good axles" for a swap then I'd ever seen in that type of yard. Cost is under $100. (Call before you drive, or find someone who live close to check it out)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Mr.N said:
In my book, no high pinion was a Heavy Duty Dana 44, it's all about the hubs...

Not sure I follow Mr. N, care to elaborate? I understand the comment about 8 lug hubs, but the F250 if BJ would be a HPD44 (not a 60) with thick wall tubing (believe 1/2" on these), and leaf sprung, and with slightly different inner axle shaft lengths IIRC. They are no more heavy duty than any other D44 in terms of internal gearing or the outer C for the knuckle, but in my book you get a nice thick axle tube, leaf spring capability for simplicity (if that's what you're after), and a more heavy duty brake/hub setup.

In terms of buy or not, I would by them both for $130. Even if he doesn't want the front leaf D44 (if that is what it turns out to be), as you state the hub outers are worth more than that easily if in good condition. And I generally see D44 complete leaf spring version going for around $350 here.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Deleted - bad info.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
ditto.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Mr.N said:
It can be said the 77.5-79 HP F250's are heavy duty, but I think 1/2 ton size hubs and lock-out disqualify it.

I"d show pics, but don't good have a 77.5-79 HP F250's, yet!
Well, any 8 lug 44 is kinda an odd mix...certainly not D60, but they do have some improvements over a standard 1/2T D44....axle thickness aside, out at the hubs, yes, the dials/lockouts are still standard 44 stuff, but you get a beefier spindle, bigger inner bearing, bigger hub, and a better brake setup (usually a combo of caliper and beefier rotor). My feeling is that the spindle, bigger inner bearing, hub, and a nice knuckle works well for bigger tires (I'm running a 37), and should help the hub survive many miles as long as I'm running a close to stock backspacing.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Shadofax said:
Well, any 8 lug 44 is kinda an odd mix...certainly not D60, but they do have some improvements over a standard 1/2T D44....axle thickness aside, out at the hubs, yes, the dials/lockouts are still standard 44 stuff, but you get a beefier spindle, bigger inner bearing, bigger hub, and a better brake setup (usually a combo of caliper and beefier rotor). My feeling is that the spindle, bigger inner bearing, hub, and a nice knuckle works well for bigger tires (I'm running a 37), and should help the hub survive many miles as long as I'm running a close to stock backspacing.
D-60 F-250s can be found, there's one in Reno and like 6 on car-parts.com... be prepared to pay for them though, as for mine, it's staying put for now.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Spookshow ONE said:
D-60 F-250s can be found, there's one in Reno and like 6 on car-parts.com... be prepared to pay for them though, as for mine, it's staying put for now.
Oh yes, certainly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts