Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning about 8:30, and got ready to head on over to my buddie's house...we were headed down to a machine shop to get some prices on the stuff i needed done to my block...so i left the house around 9:00, got to his house about 9:30....hes still in the bed, forgot to turn on his alarm. oh, well no biggie, hes ready in about 10 mins.

We both hop in my jeep and head down to lancaster, sc....about an hour drive from charlotte. Turns out my mapquest directions were really screwed up, so we end up driving thru lancaster, and have to turn around. I stop at a gas station and run in to ask for directions. The guy tells me the road is only 5 or 6 miles up. Great, jump back in the truck and we start off again. We find the road, get going on it...we drive....and drive...never see the machine shop sign. Then all of the sudden we see a welcome to North Caroline Sign. Dammit....must have went to far, so we backtrack about 8 miles and realize that we should have taken the fork back a ways. We get on the right road and find the machine shop about 15mins later. I talked to the guy who seems very smart and get some good info. His prices were very reasonable too. About 550 bucks to machine my block and balance the rotating assembly. Give him my # to call me later so he can give me the answer to a few questions he said he would work on.

We head back outside, and it had started drizzling again(was like that all day). I hop in my comanche and go to start it up...and it doesnt start....the starter just sounds like its free spinning and not contacting the flywheel. What the heck. Then it start POURING rain. Bah. I head back into the shop and borrow a hammer hoping that the starter just needed some....persuasion. I hit it best i could with the hammer and the starter almost FELL OFF the friggin block. WHAT THE HELL. By now its raining cats and dogs. I climbed under the truck to checkout the starter....the bolts worked themselves loose somehow. I borrowed a socket and ratchet from the guys at the shop and get the start back in long enough to start it back up, it was still pretty loose. Now im soaking wet, and covered in oil and Dirt. And still have to drive and hour and 1/2 back home. :banghead Truck made it home fine....but i think i need to tighten up the starter some more.

Just needed to vent a little, that made me pretty agitated. I don't understand how the started worked itself loose.
The machine shop was great thou. I think im going to end up using it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
damn those jeeps:toothless :toothless

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
take alittle locktight and put it on the bolts when you do this again, it will help on not backing out. and make sure you get it tight enough.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cody said:
take alittle locktight and put it on the bolts when you do this again, it will help on not backing out. and make sure you get it tight enough.
Yeah, good idea. Im pretty sure thats the original starter, the PO didn't say anything about havin problems with it(he told me everything he replaced) And i sure as heck didn't touch it until today. Just don't understand why they would have backed out

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Got my own story. Travis that used to work down at Lakeside auto didn't tighten the lug nuts on the right front when I had the winter tires put on about 6 or 7 years back. Came off goin' 'round one of those double S curves we have around here. If it'd been my wife driving, I'd own Lakeside Auto now!

BTW, I don't have any problem findin' out-of-the-way places. I usually get lost findin' my way back!...:histerica

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 78 F150 several years ago that had the same problem with the starter. I would have to tighten it every 2-3 months until I put locktite on it. That took care of it. Never had to tighten it again.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
We both hop in my jeep and head down to lancaster, sc....about an hour drive from charlotte. Turns out my mapquest directions were really screwed up, so we end up driving thru lancaster, and have to turn around. I stop at a gas station and run in to ask for directions. The guy tells me the road is only 5 or 6 miles up. Great, jump back in the truck and we start off again. We find the road, get going on it...we drive....and drive...never see the machine shop sign. Then all of the sudden we see a welcome to North Caroline Sign. Dammit....must have went to far, so we backtrack about 8 miles and realize that we should have taken the fork back a ways. We get on the right road and find the machine shop about 15mins later.
:histerica :rofl: :histerica :rofl: :histerica :rofl:

I laugh because I've been there...Uwharrie a couple years ago I'm sure you've heard the story. Didn't I say not to EVER use Mapquest?

When you go to tighten up the starter again, alternate the bolts. Tighten the top, then the bottom, back to the top, to the bottom, to the...you get the point. Keep doing that till it's all nice and tight.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
I've had years like that magnum atleast you proved you can work under pressure:toothless

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
magnumpi said:
Turns out my mapquest directions were really screwed up...
Wow, there's a surprise. When will people learn to not use the Mapquest directions? :twak The only thing I use Mapquest for is a general idea on mileage between places and city locations.

Wanna do something fun? Type in some local stuff you know, like from your house to work and see which way it tells you to go.

Oh btw, cool deal on the machine shop. Is there not one closer? I guess I'm spoiled, the guy we use is like 20 minutes from the house.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah....im gonna start checkin maquest against a real map before i head off on another great andventure.

Manny....i was cussing up a storm and really pissed....but yeah, i got it fixed in like 15 mins

oh and i forgot one part....after the starter fell off, we tried push starting it down a small hill that ran behind the machin shop...that didn't work...rear tires just locked up and the truck slid about 10 feet to a stop. Found out later i should have had it in 2nd gear, not first :banghead

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BroncoBabe said:
Wow, there's a surprise. When will people learn to not use the Mapquest directions? :twak The only thing I use Mapquest for is a general idea on mileage between places and city locations.

Wanna do something fun? Type in some local stuff you know, like from your house to work and see which way it tells you to go.

Oh btw, cool deal on the machine shop. Is there not one closer? I guess I'm spoiled, the guy we use is like 20 minutes from the house.
haha, yeah i know, i was in a hurry, so i just printed them out...it didn't reconize the street name i put in so it just gave directions to lacanster...so it was partially my fault.

There are some closer machine shops, but this one seems to be about top of the line for the area. All their machines were fairly new, the shop was cleaner than most machine shops, prices are very reasonable, and the guys there seem to really know what their doin, so i don't really mind the hour drive that much. A buddy of mine has used them before, so that helped in the decision too.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had the starter fall out of my truck once, too. Samething as you, went to start it and it just free-spun. I have had other bolts fall out as well back when the truck was mostly stock and my daily driver. A bunch of the exhaust manifold bolts fell out of my old 351M, shift linkage bolt fell out, and some other various little stuff has come loose. These were all bolts that I had never touched before. It's weird how some people have problems with bolts seizing on their trucks while mine has had the problem of bolts falling out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You probably know this but some sagely advice use Blue locktite not red or you will definitely regret it.... and use some brake cleaner on the bolts and corresponding holes...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Gunner69 said:
You probably know this but some sagely advice use Blue locktite not red or you will definitely regret it.... and use some brake cleaner on the bolts and corresponding holes...

Yea i was going to say, if you use locktite use the medium or light duty stuff, you have to torch the red stuff out.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Hey, at least the bolts were still there. Could have been a LOT worse. Also, it's not just any mechanic who will let you borrow their tools. I know a bunch of them who just won't do it.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave's Bronc 90 said:
Hey, at least the bolts were still there. Could have been a LOT worse. Also, it's not just any mechanic who will let you borrow their tools. I know a bunch of them who just won't do it.
I know what you mean. I'm glad the guys at the shop were extremely nice. Now Im positive thats the shop im gonna end up using. They already seemed to know their stuff and they even offered any help if i needed it...

Mullis Auto Machine
704-882-1181
4822 Shilon Unity Road
Lancaster, SC 29720

Their real name is Hembry Ridge Auto Machining, its just listed as the other name in the phonebook.

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
magnumpi said:
yeah....im gonna start checkin maquest against a real map before i head off on another great andventure.

Manny....i was cussing up a storm and really pissed....but yeah, i got it fixed in like 15 mins

oh and i forgot one part....after the starter fell off, we tried push starting it down a small hill that ran behind the machin shop...that didn't work...rear tires just locked up and the truck slid about 10 feet to a stop. Found out later i should have had it in 2nd gear, not first :banghead

Dude anytime you push start one you want it in direct connect high gear that way it's one to one. If you give the engine a mechanical leverage advantage with using a low gear it'll never turn over wrong gear but your thinking about putting it in another wrong gear my advice is always use 3 or 4th when bump starting :toothless :rockon

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MANNY said:
Dude anytime you push start one you want it in direct connect high gear that way it's one to one. If you give the engine a mechanical leverage advantage with using a low gear it'll never turn over wrong gear but your thinking about putting it in another wrong gear my advice is always use 3 or 4th when bump starting :toothless :rockon
Thanks for the info...ill remeber that for next time....hopefully it won't happen again thou

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use randmcnally.com for my directions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts