Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. When it doesn't I click the switch on off on off on off then it works for a while then stops. Plus it doesn't darken when I want it to or as much as I want it to. Anyone else hate that POS as much as me?

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
had no idea they made them LOL. i dont even use the darken feature on my standard mirror except when im being tailgated and even then i just try to aim their lights back in their eyes

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I agree I don't like em' either. I have had several vehicles with one too...FWIW I do like some of them that have the compass/temp, but I'd rather have a manual day/night with a compass/temp

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Justin got me an auto darkening mirror with a compass for my truck. Best small amount of money I have spent on it in a long while. I really like mine. My manual day/night mirror never worked properly. When in Day view it would be adjusted, but flip it to night and it wouldn't hold the same position. I tried multiple mirrors from the junkyards in it. They all worked fine in their OE vehicle but had the same issue in mine. I often wondered if it was due to the button position???

With the auto mirror I don't have to do a thing. Makes my 90 feel more upscale! lol

tim

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
If you dont like it look for a standard rear view with the manual feature and put it on. Don't cut the connector off the mirror, just tuck it under the trim. That's one of the things one of the po's of my truck did and I ended up junkyard hunting for a new connector to replace the piece they cut off and tossed. I'm sure that they caused some fuse issues doing that as well, cause I had found a few blown fuses that kept blowing when I got it and the overhead center concil had the computer fried as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sounds like you need to add lift to your bronco. I cant remember the last time I flipped the dimmer on my mirror

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
sounds like you need to add lift to your bronco. I cant remember the last time I flipped the dimmer on my mirror
If that was for me, lol. Yeah that would be one way to fix the previous problem. It is a F150 though. I don't forsee a lift in my future anymore. I do like the auto mirror, but will give you that a lift solves all the issues too.:haha

tim

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If you pull the glass off, there is a printed circuit board. Most broken one just have a bad solder somewhere. I've frankensteined a few together out of the yard with good results.

I love my auto darkening mirror. I've put them in everything I own.

You can pull any Gentex mirror out of the yard (with the corresponding connector) and install it in its place. The three wires pull out of the connector and you can put them into the 5/7/16 pin connector of the more well optioned Gentex mirrors. I can find them all day long with compasses, but I've yet to come across one with the compass and temperature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mirror darkens into green which I hate and it doesn't darken people 100 yards away who run their high beams and only darkens once they pull up within 10 feet behind me. Plus on the 94 EB Bronco the compass and temp are up in the dome where you carry your garage remote, and not on the mirror. I'm going to look for a manual mirror with flip switch to replace this.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I wonder if it's just that they were relatively new tech back when these were first built. I've got one in my 08 Ram and love it. I never even realize it's doing it's job unless I need to turn it off to ID the car behind me(whether there are lights on top or not.......). I've got the manual factory flip up mirror in my Bronco and hate it. Every time I have to flip it up or down I have to totally reposition the mirror. When it's in the normal position and I flip it up for night driving, all I get is the roof of the truck and I have to turn it down a bit in order to see the rear view. Then during the day, I flip it back down only to have to move the mirro back up to see out of it.

The strangest thing is that it fell off the window once many years ago and took out a chunk of the glass with it. The glass isn't shattered or even cracked, it's just gouged out where the mirror was originally mounted. My FIL said one day when he got in it after work, he got half way home before he realized there wasn't a rear view mirror anymore. He looked down and it was laying on the floor. I guess sitting in the hot Florida sun all day, it melted the original glue or there was a fualt in the glass and it finally gave way after expansion and contraction.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,810 Posts
If you're repositioning your mirror when in "night mode," you're doing it wrong.

The way it works is like this: There are two reflecting surfaces in a day/night mirror. One is highly reflective (day), and the other is alot less reflective (night). Looking at the mirror glass from the side, it's wedge-shaped. The "day" surface is coated with silver (like your bathroom mirror), and the other is not.

When the switch is flipped to "day," you're looking at the highly reflective surface. The other reflection is actually there, but it's so dim you don't notice it.

When you flip it to "night," what you're actually doing is pointing the highly reflective surface toward the headliner, and only looking at the less reflective surface. Because headlights are so bright compared to everything else at night, you can still see the headlights, but they're not as bright as before you flipped the switch.

If you flip the mirror to "night" and all you see is the headliner, it's not dark enough outside. If it's not all that dark and you're having trouble with drivers behind you blinding you with their high-beams, it's time to invest in some 100W "backup" lights on an independent switch. :toothless

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
No, mine just seems to flip higher or something for some reason. When I have the mirror adjusted to be able to see during the day, I should just be able to flip it and see the night view. It just doesn't work that way. I flip it and have to manually move the mirror down slightly to be able to see the night view.

Years ago, I had a Samurai that had a 4 light bar mounted to the windshield. I had 4 300cp Dick Cepak lights on it and one of them was turned to the rear. One night I had some @$$Hat riding behind me with his high beams on and wouldn't go around. I flipped on my reverse lamp and he rebutted by turning on his lights, the Blue and Red ones on his roof. Got a ticket, alot of attitude and about an hour os vehicle search and having to justify the "Radical Whiteboy Gear" I had in my vehicle. It just happened to be the U.S. Military issued uniforms and gear I had since I'd just come back from the little get together we had down in Panama the night before and I was on my way home to my parents house to see them so my mother would believe that I was alright. Hell I still had some of the jungle funk on me at the time.

Karma had my back though. I read about him in the paper about 3 years later after he'd been arrested for forcing a 14 year old girl to have sex with him after he picked her up for wondering the streets late at night.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,810 Posts
I didn't mean for that post to sound like it was directed at you, John -- sorry about that.

I just hear alot of my friends complain about Day/Night mirrors (because they don't know how to use them).

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
OK, no problem. I know there are some people out there who think the tab at the bottom of the mirror is just there to grab to move it.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,783 Posts
I love my auto dimming rear view mirror. I think its one of the best auto dimmers in any vehicle I've ever sat in. 'nuff said.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I know how to use the manual dimming mirror too. Something was wrong with my truck. Different mirrors I tried from junkyard scrounging would function properly in the yard, but when removed and mounted in my truck they all would do the samething. Only half the mirror would be in night mode. I often wondered if perhaps the button had been mounted slightly out of position by a previous owner's repair?? I fixed it with an auto mirror that I am well pleased with.

tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts