Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I shorted something in my 1990 bronco not to long ago maybe a month or less. The short had something to do with my ignition because the keys wouldn't start or turn anything on so I ran a hot wire to my ignition coil and ran it to a toggle switch in my truck. About a week ago I was driving down the street and everything shut off and it hasn't turned on since so I tested my sparks plugs on the cap of my distributor and I only get 1 spark so I have replaced my distributor thinking that was the problem and it still didn't start then I replaced my ignition coil and it still won't start does anyone know what it could be I need help asap

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm have a similar problem with my 83 bronco. I haven't replaced my distributer yet. But have replaced my coil and icm. Maybe following to see what others say about yours. I'll find out about mine

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're biggest problem is not finding out what caused the ignition to stop working in the first place. The key ignition circuit also sends power to the white wire on the Duraspark module. No offense, but if something shorts out you need to figure out what that is and why it happened first before you go replacing the distributor and coil. Have you checked the ignition module yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is a very basic troubleshooting guide:
Having done a great many electrical repairs and upgrades over the years, one thing I have learned is that you MUST be systematic when you are trying to find the source of a problem.

·
Registered
858 Posts
A 90 is probably running a system EEC-IV.

I do agree with Rade that you need a systemic approach to troubleshooting. Getting your hands on an EVTM would be worthwhile.

Your 90 should spit out some OBD-1 codes assuming you haven’t fried that as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A 90 is probably running a system EEC-IV.

I do agree with Rade that you need a systemic approach to troubleshooting. Getting your hands on an EVTM would be worthwhile.

Your 90 should spit out some OBD-1 codes assuming you haven’t fried that as well.
Crap, I was paying attention to the second post and missed the year...
Yeah, if you have an EFI truck there's no way you can just hot-wire the coil and expect it to run. All sort of inputs are going to determine whether it runs or not... EEC relay, fuel pump relay, TFI module. You've got a whole pile of things that could be wrong.

Reactions: packagerjr
1 - 6 of 6 Posts