Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked it in the backyard after a 1300 mile trip(Arkansas - Florida) and only turned it on once and let it idle for 5 minutes. As far as I knew, the Bronco didn't have a single CEL during the trip. But now there's four new codes. I have a 1996 Bronco XLT 5.8 with 155k miles, 33x12.5 tires and a 3in body lift. Im proud to say it managed 15mpg during the whole trip haha.

here are the codes:

P0125- Insufficient Coolant Temp. For closed loop fuel control
P0303- Cyl. 3 misfire detected
P0125- Exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive detected
P1131- Lack of upstream heated Oxy. Sensor switch~ Sensor indicated lean bank# 1(This one i've had before when i was living in Arkansas. It would come on and random go away on it's own so i didn't bother to do anything about it.)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I would go drive it a good amount of time, Rod the piss out of it to get it good and hot. Clear codes then see if they come back.

the 125 is coolant temp. the 303 was a missfire and the 1131 is lean on bank 1

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When i started it up, it was just sucking air and misfiring like crazy. I drove it around for a bit and stomp the pedal a couple times and it sounds back to normal. I've yet to clear the codes tho.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Might need to complete a drive cycle to clear the codes, like maybe 15-20 miles at different speeds, highway, around town etc.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
go get the codes cleared, and drive it for a few days and see what (if any) come back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it on bumper to bumper traffic, got on the highway and gassed the pedal. It run completely fine now so im just going to clear the codes now and hope for the best. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
26,988 Posts
yo,

Just in case;
DTC P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control "...Indicates the ECT or CHT sensor has not achieved the required temperature level to enter closed loop operating conditions within a specified amount of time after starting engine. Insufficient warm up time; Insufficient warm up time Low engine coolant level Leaking or stuck open thermostat Malfunctioning ECT sensor..." miesk5 Note; Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the KOER portion

DTC P0300, P0302, P030X, Random; Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected; Symptoms, Causes & Possible Solutions
Source: by miesk5 at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168760
A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

Symptoms may include:
the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present

Causes; A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty spark plugs or wires check each wire for connection integrity first. Ensure that routing is ok;
Look at that VECI Label on top of radiator; look at the spk plug wire routing diagram carefully.
Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order TSB 94-04-10 for 87-93 5.0 & 94-96 5.0 & all 5.8 - engine miss, spark knock, buck/jerk, surge and other driveability concerns
Source: by Ford via Steve83
Test coil before pulling plugs to inspect again and re-gapping to save your time & $ http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206
Re-gap Plugs
Faulty coil
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer (not likely)

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

======

P1131 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean A HEGO sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time
check for vacuum leaks

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 95 EB sat for 5 1/2 years wasn't even started! Pulled it into our shop a few months ago. Well besides a new fuel pump nothing was wrong with it no codes yet either knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
could of been water/ mositure in the cap, causing the mis-fire

·
Registered
124 Posts
pull the cylinder 3 plug and wire make sure there aren't any cracks in either. I had a chevy on the farm that was throwing intermittent misfires and o2 codes. turned out the plug insulator was cracked. sometimes it would misfire sometimes it wouldnt. replaced the plug cleared the codes and they never came back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts