Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just happened upon the Alltrails web sight it's free!

I have been searching for off road 4x4 trails close to me and in my search discovered Alltrails web sight. I gave it a look a couple of days ago and thought it might be cool. This evening I took a little more time familiarizing my self with how their sight is payed out. I can say I am impressed and was able to look at all the hundreds of trails near me that I never knew existed. I found Dear Valley & the Rubicon trails both of which I would like to visit sometime here in the not so distant future. Have a look for trails near you by zooming out and in on the map near you. Then click on the upside down tear drops for trail information or click on the round numbered circles to open up more trails clustered near each other. You can create custom maps, save several maps on a trip planner and so on. The standard membership is free and they have a pro version I have not looked into yet. I am still learning how it works. If you upgrade to the pro version you get topi maps and other goodies. Sign up is painlessly quick. Give it a shot and let FSB know what you think about it. They have apps for your phones etc as well. Enjoy.

https://www.alltrails.com/signup

I like to select the trail difficulty first.

Followed by selcting what I want to do on the trail or type of trail usage.

Then finally I scroll through the trails in the Trails near California or what ever destination you choose" and click on them for the trail details.

I like looking at the charted trails like this for trail details

Then I can change the type of map by clicking on the Map Layers tab and selecting the type of map I want to view.

This is how a Google map looks slightly zoomed in.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK updated the opening post with images and some tutorial notes above each image. Bare with me I am still learning this alltrails sight. A video would be a lot better but that will take more time than what I have at the moment.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,507 Posts
I'm cheap and private. Was hoping someone else might jump in and join you.
What little preview I got didn't show much and nothing I don't already know. :shrug

heavy on the saltbutter. :toothless
:popc1:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought more people would have showed some interest. I have no maps and I don't know where any trails are so this was perfect being free to use. Maybe not too many people see the thread based on it's location, not exactly where most help me threads are located here at FSB.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,558 Posts
I've been on it recently. Used it for the Moffat Road in CO. Here in KS, we don't have 4x4 trails unless it's at one of the two off-road parks. 99.9% of KS lands are privately owned, with no forests or mountain fire roads like you see farther out west or in the mountains.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's is an awesome web page. I found a ton of trails near me I had no idea existed and one of my favorite options is choosing the trail difficulty from easy, medium and hard. It's hard for me to believe no one else knows about Alltrails or are otherwise not interested enough to try it.

Alltrails has apps for cell phones as well so you can save the maps and trip plans for what I presume is so you can view the info when you are out of cell phone antenna range.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glanced at it a handful of times. Definitely useful, but the vast majority are pretty popular trails, IE = people. (at least here in SoCal)
I prefer to look at Google Earth and scour an area for hours on end, committing as much to memory as possible, then head out to see what it's all about. Ultimately, my goal is to see stuff most people never will in their lives because they stick to the more popular trails, and that's just fine because in a 4-5 day trip we almost never come across another living soul :thumbup

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glanced at it a handful of times. Definitely useful, but the vast majority are pretty popular trails, IE = people. (at least here in SoCal)
I prefer to look at Google Earth and scour an area for hours on end, committing as much to memory as possible, then head out to see what it's all about. Ultimately, my goal is to see stuff most people never will in their lives because they stick to the more popular trails, and that's just fine because in a 4-5 day trip we almost never come across another living soul :thumbup
That sounds like it would take a lot of time. Exploring is fun but I have never really been wheeling so I just want to be able to look up some trails with in an hour or so from me and get info as to the type of trail easy, medium or hard and know I will be able to wheel it my first time out. This sight helps with that a little. Once I get some off road experiance in the Bronco I will feel more comfy going on the harder trails which will also be easier to locate. I will eventually like to feel comfy enough to go out alone on expeditions of unexplored terrain or where there are not a lot of people but not at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
14,556 Posts
If I lived out west I'd probably be on there.. unfortunately, it's pretty useless in Florida.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I certainly didnt mean to imply it isnt a useful site. Very useful when learning a new area/ places to become more familiar with your rig/skills. When I was 18 and thrashing around a 69 Bronco I didnt mind trails/areas with people, but now 32 years later people are the last thing I want to see out wheeling. The more public info there is about a place, the more beat down it becomes with people frequenting the area. People=Sh!t. The best places I've ever wheeled at are places with very little to no (internet) info available. Yes, very time consuming on GE, but very rewarding when you find a area/site relatively pristine and not tore up by the masses

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,221 Posts
In this area, it's practically useless and AT ties nearly every option(like changing map backgrounds) to a paywall. 0/5, thumbdown and 1 tomato.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts