Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a thought in process so bear with me, its just an idea. and those have a way of changing! but its cold and snowing out and I dont have anything better to do right now? so here we go

I have a 76 4x4 F 250 Highboy that needs work. and I will be starting that this spring
I am picking up a 78 short bed 4x4 f series parts truck with the bronco style radius arm front suspension and some lift to it
they both have C-6's
Heres my thought?
Why not take the two trucks and build the best that I can from the best parts of the two
I want to shorten up the wheel base to the bronco's wheel base of 104" I believe it is? and I might even graft the bed to the cab ? basicaly building a inclosed Bronco
welding and fabrication work is not a problem. money is another matter???but thats why I want to use all that I can of what I have
I want to use the radius arm front suspension instead of the leafs, those damn leafs are to stiff! I imagine it will be worse shorter!
I want to use the 250's axles
and combine all the best body parts of course

thats about as far as I've gotten with the idea's?
should I use the divorced transfer case out of the 250 or the married one out of the short bed?
what is the deal with the hydraulic steering in the 76?
is that something I should try to keep or go with the 78's power steering set up?or can they be combined?
I may run as big of a tire that I can some day? maybe 44's?

now the plans for this truck will be mainly street driving with some minor plowing maybe? and definite off roading but nothing major. just for fun, and maybe recovery of my Bronco when needed?? I'm not beating the shet out of it! or rock crawling

Thats all I can think of? so lets hear your thought's and ideas?
is this stupid? am I forgetting anything?
I have to redo the truck anyways so I figure why not build something cool out of it?
its not like I'm destroying any prestine trucks here! just taking the best parts and making something nice?
so lets hear it. Thanks..Rick

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Sounds extreem for a plow truck..but it would be cool when done.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I dont know if I will even put a plow on it, I didnt say it would only be a plow truck, thats just a possible use for it in the winter time? and it would'nt be much if I did it. just personal plowing. I guess I just want to build my Bronco a step Brother

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Use the married T-case for the shorter wheel base. If your going to run large tires use the Hydro assist also. Lockers will be cheaper and easier to find for the 9" over the Dana 60 rear(detroits on ebay anyway). If you are seriously going to use as a plow truck go with the leaf Dana 44 IMO. Otherwise go with coils for a better ride and off road flex( can be done with leafs also but easier with coils IMO). Another thing that might sway your decision on which axles to use is which has the better tires/rims?? But keep in mind that the Dana 60 and Dana 44 HD will have a larger brake system but I dont think there is that much added strength in the axles themselves.

Thats my 2 cents. Sounds like a very big project and Im guessing it will be a full frame off restore so post pics when you get started. Good luck.

·
Gear Driven!!
1,280 Posts
It will be alot of work for sure Rick..We cut down a LWB 150 for my Dads Ranger.Dont forget Driveshafts?May have to extend or shorten?I've always heard the hydro steer on those truck were shit(hear say)?I would go with Red Neck Ram or something like that if I were you.Also for sure stay away from the divorced case if your wheeling it at all.Best of luck and take plenty of pics!!! :beer

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is exactly why I posted this here guys thank you, I think you have helped me make up my mind for now, I will just fix it up for now and leave it, so I can drive it until I finish the bronco like I want it, atleast I will have a full size to drive, and a lot less work, if I want to pick back up on this later cool, I have a game plan..Thank you. I knew I came to the right Place. I also posted this at FTE just to see what they would say being the bunch of purist that they are. and they did not disappointment me. fawk them purist at FTE. FSB is my home!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts