Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....as I was doing a brake job on my 03 F-150 I was drool over that 8.8 axle with the disk brakes and I noticed the the shock bracket is a two way bracket. I'll be damned! I want to put a disk brake 8.8 in my Bronco so bad and if I can find a late model one with the two way bracket like in my 150 I will definitely get it. Only problem will be it uses 14mm lugs so I would have to use two different sockets but hey small price. What I need to know is if that could be a direct swap? I'm not sure if the parking brake is compatible but it look like everything else would be. They the same size vehicles...not like and Explorer. The 150 shocks go toward the rear while the Bronc shocks go toward the front. Any thoughts???

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Bolt pattern is different. It is metric also.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Gary your 03 F150 does not have a 8.8 in it, It is a 9.26???? I think and I believe even the lug pattern is different. Friday at work I put new axle bearing and seals in a 99 and new spiders in a 02.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
v6 and 4.6 got the 8.8
5.4 got the 9.75 i think or 9.? (some 4.6 might have if they where the higher gvrw)

and that for 97 to 10

5 x135,bolt pattern so you would need to redrill the rotors, but i dont know if the backing plates have the same bolt pattern or not, and late 99 models the change over for the disc brakes in the rear

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary your 03 F150 does not have a 8.8 in it, It is a 9.26???? I think and I believe even the lug pattern is different. Friday at work I put new axle bearing and seals in a 99 and new spiders in a 02.
Yeah mine's the 4.6 gas guzzling underpowered 150:cry So it's an 8.8 but I forgot about the 5.4 bolt pattern...135mm=5.4" 137.5mm=5.5 I retired in 96 so we were still turning out 5X5.5 axles for trucks.:whiteflag

Your 99 is a 5x5.5 but your 02 is a 5.4(135mm). I still eat, breath, talk, smell, crap, fart American. I hate the metric system even though it's easier to use.:goodfinge

Damn foiled again.:toothless

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
years ago Cragar Wheels made a wheel line called UniLug - they had offset washers that allowed the wheel to fit various stud spacing - I don't think they still make them - too bad.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved! Now all I have to do is find the axle.

Vehicle Size 5 x 5" / 5 x 5.5"

Wheel Size 5 x 5.5"

AdapterThickness 1.5"

I.D. 87.1

Stud Thread Size 1/2"

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what is the point you're trying to make here?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah mine's the 4.6 gas guzzling underpowered 150:cry So it's an 8.8 but I forgot about the 5.4 bolt pattern...135mm=5.4" 137.5mm=5.5 I retired in 96 so we were still turning out 5X5.5 axles for trucks.:whiteflag

Your 99 is a 5x5.5 but your 02 is a 5.4(135mm). I still eat, breath, talk, smell, crap, fart American. I hate the metric system even though it's easier to use.:goodfinge

Damn foiled again.:toothless
A '99 Ford Truck is not 5x5.50 it's 5x135mm. Also the PCD is not referred to 5.4, it is referred as 5x135.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still think in inches. I don't care about how the PCD is refered...whatever the PCD is. I always thought it was called a bolt circle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I still think in inches. I don't care about how the PCD is refered...whatever the PCD is. I always thought it was called a bolt circle.
PCD (pitch circle diameter) or Bolt Pattern is the most common in the wheel industry. I also go by inches as well. Only a few sizes can be viewed in metric and sae. 5x5.5/5x139.7 5x5/5x127 ect. Unfortunately the 5x135 doesn't have a SAE equivalent.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PCD (pitch circle diameter) or Bolt Pattern is the most common in the wheel industry. I also go by inches as well. Only a few sizes can be viewed in metric and sae. 5x5.5/5x139.7 5x5/5x127 ect. Unfortunately the 5x135 doesn't have a SAE equivalent.
Well in the axle manufacturing world that is called the bolt circle and I built, installed and maintained all the different bushing plates that Ford used to drill and ream wheel lug holes. So there.... pfffft :toothless:smash:beer Of course I left before they converted to metric measurement 5.5" was still 5.5" not 139.7mm.:doh0715:

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you all think of replacing the master cylinder and booster first? The whole problem is stopping power and someone said the main porblem might be the MC/booster combination and low vacuum? Ford is notorious for having lousy brakes and I have seen a number of posts about replacing the booster in the Bronco. What should I look for?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am not even real sure where this is going, or even what it is about. I will give ya my 2 cents however. So there.........pffffft.

First of all who drools over an 8.8:haha
Why not just slap in a 10.25 and do a 8 lug upfront. Then booster and master cylinder. Seems silly to me to waste money on the 8.8. Although I have no idea what your plans are for the bronco.

Roman

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I am not even real sure where this is going, or even what it is about. I will give ya my 2 cents however. So there.........pffffft.

First of all who drools over an 8.8:haha
Why not just slap in a 10.25 and do a 8 lug upfront. Then booster and master cylinder. Seems silly to me to waste money on the 8.8. Although I have no idea what your plans are for the bronco.

Roman
Because anything from 92+ needs an axle with the vss.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Because anything from 92+ needs an axle with the vss.
They arent impossible to find, just have to keep hitting the jy's till u find one...

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Im no expert on axles.:whiteflag

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I'd have wanted a 10.25 I'd have bought an old 250. Hell why even fool with a Bronco...this is what I really want... This is actually the owner's DD.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts