Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my only set of keys~!!!!!!
has any one ever had to replace the switch and keys
I put them on the bumper of my wifes car
She went to the store while I was inside and we never found them
:(

Sucks they were original and worn smooth just right........

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I would pull a door lock and the ignition switch and take them to a locksmith. He can impression you new keys for the locks.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just get any switch new or used with keys.. Its a plug & play system... If you have an ignition switch with a key you can start any 73 to 79 ford...

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
I would pull a door lock and the ignition switch and take them to a locksmith. He can impression you new keys for the locks.

Door and ignition switch take the same key, no need to pull both.

Just get any switch new or used with keys.. Its a plug & play system... If you have an ignition switch with a key you can start any 73 to 79 ford...
^^ this if your just looking to get it started. If you want to lock it then pull a door lock and go to a locksmith.

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
Gotta have the old key, or be able to pick open the ignition, to replace it with a new/different one.

If the doors and ignition were never changed (still both keyed-alike) ....x2 on Rangers suggestion.

I dont remember if there is a locking compartment inside, but it should match the tailgate. If so, after ignition/doors are done, take it back to the locksmith so he can use the compartment to aid in making tailgate key. He will probably have to "progress" the final key from the compartment key. I've generated new keys for quite a few Fords and that's the way I do the tailgate.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Door and ignition switch take the same key, no need to pull both.

^^ this if your just looking to get it started. If you want to lock it then pull a door lock and go to a locksmith.
He wrote of the keys in plural, so I ass-umed the ign. lock had been replaced as it has been in three of the five 78/9 Broncos I've owned.

Here's a different one:
In one of the 79's I had a round key for the hood release, doors, tailgate, and glove box, and a square key for the ignition. The square and round keys are different blanks and don't fit in the other's locks.

I lost my only set of keys~!!!!!!
has any one ever had to replace the switch and keys
I put them on the bumper of my wifes car
She went to the store while I was inside and we never found them
:(

Sucks they were original and worn smooth just right........

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
Here's a different one:
In one of the 79's I had a round key for the hood release, doors, tailgate, and glove box, and a square key for the ignition. The square and round keys are different blanks and don't fit in the other's locks.
Somebody, sometime replaced the originals with a newer set of door locks.

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
He wrote of the keys in plural, so I ass-umed the ign. lock had been replaced as it has been in three of the five 78/9 Broncos I've owned.

Here's a different one:
I see what your saying. Someone might of changed the ignition switch at one time thus having a different key than the doors.

Originally all the locks took the square key other than the glovebox lock. The glovebox lock is the only thing the round key is used for. The square key works the hood, doors, tailgate and the hood release.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
The hood locks on the 2nd gen?

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
IIRC it was an option. There was also a combo hood lock, ignition cutoff offered with the Ford secondary (round head) key. It was aftermarket.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you have a freind close by with a 78-79. Try his key. I have a set of matching door locks and ignition by luck, one key fits both.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts