Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been spending the past couple of days looking for prices on torque converter replacement and tranny replacement for the ex-wife (name of my bronco)
So I call aamco got this guy on the phone, so I go and tell him what code I pulled from the ECU explained I did a KOEO and KOER. Now this guy is like what kind of tranny I explain it is an E4OD from a 95 bronco, Proceed to tell him it is in safe/limp mode he says, "these transmissions do not have a limp/safe mode it is controlled by the ECU and nothing else if it is shifting like that there is something wrong inside the tranny" (I know this is bull as I can reset the code and it will shift great and preforms well) so I continue and he basically says the E4OD are junk. As we contiue this guy appeared to know little to nothing about electronic trans and qouted me a price of 1000 just to do the torque converter I laughed and said, "wait wait wait you are gonna charge me how much when 2 other shops qouted me half that? are you guys that stupid? he said. "sir I have been doing this for years and I said I think you have your minutes and years confused. end call.

To the AAMCO trans place in peoria Illinois can kiss my ass.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Yeah... I've never had any good business with aamco shit. Another bad shop around this area is Furr Transmission, I'd explained to Judy, the owner's wife (who has been running the shop since opening) that I was losing power in forward drive gears. After explaining to her that I was capable enough to determine that my transmission's clutches were failing, she told me to bring it in for a code check.... After codes, she tried convincing me that my TPS was throwing my transmission off and the transmission was fine because there were no codes.

I lost all forward gear, completely. When I called back, she tried telling me they were going to pull codes again and going to charge me $40 for it. I hung up.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was back home I know where to gobut being new around here I just want to find a decent shop. Sucks that happened but I swear shops are getting rid of decent people and hiring complete **** tards.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
The AAMCO's in Spokane are comparable to a Jiffy Lube. Buncha stupid morons.

A buddy of mine changed his tranny fluid a while back and didn't install the filter correctly, his truck shifted a bit odd so instead of dropping the pan and losing all that new fluid he took it to an AAMCO down the road. The "tech" pulled the dipstick, rubbed the fluid on his fingers, smelled it and said, "Tranny fluids burnt". Brand new ATF with 5 miles on it. :doh0715:

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
AAMCO is cancer. It's where the scuzbuckets go that can't hack it at a real shop.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Mobil quick lubes are no different to this. I was lazy one day and took it to a quick lube cause it was fuming hot and didnt want to be in the heat. as they were doing it I heard massive leaks everywhere( only leak, more like a small drip was hte antifreeze dripin out of where the cooling system connects to a engine oil cooler.). They try to sell me a ton of crap which I have already done including a trans fuild and filter change. and on top of this after I had gone there I now have a engine oil drip and when I crawled under there I found it was driping from the oil pan drain.

·
Registered
812 Posts
To Aamco's credit, they did accurately diagnose the general issue with the transmission in my Suburban. Transmission was supposedly a fresh rebuilt 700R4 from a rebuilding company, who turned out to be shady. Brought it to Aamco and they told me the valve body needed to be rebuilt. So, I bought a shift kit for it and yanked the valve body, cleaned it and installed the shift kit, and it works great now. I won't have them actually fix anything, but their diagnosis was right...

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Finding a decent trans shop is hard to do these days. Nodoby diagnoses problems anymore, they automatically want to yank the trans out and go through it, and of course they'll charge you a grand just for that part.

I use to have an old guy that rebuilt transmissions for a ford dealership for years who would do my work on the side, but he kicked the bucket a few years back. Last year when my C4 broke the reverse band, I stopped by an alledged "reputable" locally owned trans shop. $800 to replace the band....and that was with me pulling the trans and bringing it to them. Yeah right, I bought the band online and replaced it in less than an hour.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
My g/f's dad had their Chevy silverado's tranny serviced at AAMCO and paid for a lifetime warranty.. Well every couple years they have to bring it back.. Instead of upgrading the tranny they keep just fixing it for free.. You'd figure after so many times they would upgrade the tranny so they didn't have to keep losing money on servicing it.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of problems you having?
Trans is in limp/safe mod DTC of 628 excessive torque converter slippage. Now everything that I found out about the E4OD I found on here and when I talked to aamco they basically said what everything I was told was wrong. Now I know that there are some people who don't know what they are talking about but when SIG says something I would tend to believe him over this aamco guy. I am knowledgable and can tackle repairs and find and solve problems myself. But hen my vechicle is doing something and someone says no it doesn't do that as the computer controls everything I would tend to think said person is a dumbass.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I'd PM thePUNISHER...dude knows his shit on E4ODs (rebuilds them for lightnings) and could probably reccomend a good place to pick up a TC.

Its not THAT bad to replace yourself.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in an apartment other wise I would my land lord lets me get away with a lot of shit but pulling a trans he might be a little pissed

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You don't really have to "pull it"....just get enough separation between the block and trans to pull it out. I just unbolt the crossmember at the frame, support the t case with a jack and slide the whole thing back.

You can do it all in one day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts