Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's dirty, naturally I'll be cleaning it up. The bed-cap is solid, but the outer paint has worn off, so it needs some bedliner/paint treatment... but the surface is smooth and solid.
I may be putting new tires on it, the current ones are badly flat-spotted and cause a vibration at freeway speeds, which will look bad during test drives.

No major issues, new fuel pump, brakes need a bit of work, minor leak around the thermostat housing, engine runs well. about 205K miles Front seats are not original, bench rear seat is.No serious rust in the body, even the underside looks pretty good.

The guy I'll be offering it to likes broncos, he's had 4 or 6 over the years, so he knows what the market is and he is interested, specifically, in my rig.

Can I ask for $15k with a straight face?

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Trunk

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light

Window Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive mirror

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Window Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Steering part Motor vehicle Speedometer

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,373 Posts
$12,000 with new or cleaned carpet and the top repainted. You have high miles which is the reason for the low price. I’m just speculating on here but that’s what I’d list it for. $15k is too much.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
512 Posts
I would fix the brakes before trying to sell. Maybe $150 in parts total. It would be hard to ask much for a vehicle with sketchy brakes. Whoever drives it will be surely subtracting for that in their offer. Plus sketchy brakes raises a flag for neglect.
You can ask what you want, the market will tell. You can always lower your price, but you can't raise really it if you get more than one interested.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
512 Posts
Also, what have you done to it? Do you have a bundle of receipts? If you have receipts for a new motor, transmission, etc., I think $15k would not be far off if you can justify the price.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, what have you done to it? Do you have a bundle of receipts? If you have receipts for a new motor, transmission, etc., I think $15k would not be far off if you can justify the price.
Basic maintenance and either fixed things or got them fixed when they broke. The engine and tranny are original, but the rear main seal and oil pan gasket are less than a year old, and the AC system was just gone over at about the same time. I don't have all the receipts, because I honestly never thought I'd consider selling... although I can get the ones from the last few items done on it.

I did the fuel pump myself, cut an access hole and attached a plate from Solo Motorsports over the cutout.

Thanks for the honest feedback, all... I appreciate it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
$15k is into pretty much problem free, maintenance current with decent recordkeeping, cosmetically correct, clean, nice, safe, daily driver price territory.

With a whole entire new (correct) interior, paint, tires, and the mechanical issues sorted (consider it's still a +200K mi truck) - maybe $15k?

As it sits it's an unsafe +200K truck with the wrong seats, holes cut, bad paint, etc. It's a parts truck that needs to be 100% gone thru to even think about operating safely.

Being from Arizona, it's a given that much of the rubber on this truck already needs replacement.

All of the "hard" work and monetary investment on this truck still lies ahead. Respectfully. YMMV

·
Registered
1992 Ford F150 5.0 2WD
385 Posts
I would think 10k could be good asking price because its a 96, it has the 5.8 and is black and gray. A nice combo in my opinion. I would pay a more for that combo versus a 5.0 green ext tan int 92 for example. I got 8900 for mine with freshly rebuilt engine, not great repaint,, and good interior. Even though it has faded paint and high miles, its original which I think people want.

·
Registered
359 Posts
$5k the way it is in the photos. Paint the top, shampoo the carpet/seats/ect, and replace the missing trim and you can ask $10k.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,660 Posts
15k with that carpet and steering wheel?! I would think you are nuts and walk away.

Add the missing trim, fully detail it, get rid of that steering wheel, fix the brakes and i might not laugh at the 15k.

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,325 Posts
here's the way i see it:

1) you can ask anything you want. just know you might not get it.
2) as mentioned, you negotiate down - not up.
3) prices vary so greatly across the country, it's tough to get input on specific numbers from a country-wide audience.
4) if you aren't in a rush, i'd start high and go down on price over time.

·
Registered
93 FSB 5.8 EFI E4OD Punisher VB 6" BDS Stage II w/DSS 33" MT 4.10 Detroit TT Locker KN TBS JET Chip
170 Posts
Just for reference, I paid $19k for my 1996 EB with 104k miles on it a few months ago. Dang near mint condition.

View attachment 195519
That's a robbery! Could've gotten $25k and I've seen worse go for more. Good for you though. All in all, it just depends who's wanting to buy a FSB and where the market is best for them.

·
Registered
93 FSB 5.8 EFI E4OD Punisher VB 6" BDS Stage II w/DSS 33" MT 4.10 Detroit TT Locker KN TBS JET Chip
170 Posts
I would advise to get those brakes done, get the interior/exterior and engine bay detailed. You have a 5.8 Eddie Bauer OBS II Full Size Bronco! I've seen shitty FSB's go for more and sell. I promise you a little TLC and advertise it on the web and you might be surprised with the offers that come your way. Don't sell yourself short. $15k would be fair but I honestly believe the buyer wins on this one. Naturally anyone would offer less. If you said that you were going to ask for $18k people would say, "Oh, maybe $15k". Let us know what you do...

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,720 Posts
I have always gone into a deal like this with a price in my mind that I NEEDED to get, then bump that up a bit. If you NEED 15k, then as advised already, spend some time detailing it. It's the little things that can bring the most return. Replace cheap wear parts like rear fender wells. Are the front window sweeps and glass channels nice and fresh? Put a fresh coat of medium black on the visible parts of the frame. Paint the top. Do the same to the rear tire carrier. But don't slop over any of it, do it right, sand it down, tape things off. Put a spare tire cover on it. Fix anything that is functionally wrong with it (Brakes). If someone can sit in the seat, push all the buttons, turn all the dials and everything works, is clean, and it don't have puddles underneath it, and you're patient...you'll get a good price, you just have to put in a ton of elbow grease.
Easily spend 3-400 bucks on odds and ends and paint and get a huge return. To echo others, if you posted it "as-is" i'd expect a price closer to 8-10k.

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
337 Posts
you'll get what someone is will to pay. i see them on ebay go for stupid prices IMHO but these things are getting hard to find, and 15k aint much these days. def agree with getting it all working and as clean as possible w/o sinking a ton of money into it, in other words, don't spend 1500 just to get an extra 1000.

ive always wanted to know what i could get for my f150 with all the mods, daily driven, everything works. but its far past original so I think that would hurt me.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L
98 Posts
I paid $6500 for my '95 5.8L XLT, in June of 2021 with just under 150k miles on it, and with rusted rear fenders and tailgate. It drips about a quart of oil between changes.

I replaced front rotors and pads, IAC, FPR, MAP, air filter, fuel filter, starter, front bearings, and oil pressure sensor.

I repaired a bad cig lighter, replaced all interior lights, fixed drooping headliner, replaced some vacuum hoses, replaced the brake and backup lights, polished up the headlight and tail light lenses, added weather-tech or Husky mats, including in the cargo area, set the PSOM correctly for the 31x10.5 tires on it, added a towing brake controller, and cleaned it thoroughly.

Now it's my daily driver, and my pop-up camper tow vehicle. Aside from oil changes, the last repair I've needed to do on it was September of 2021, and now it's May of 2021. So I've gone trouble-free for seven and a half months. I'll be using it this weekend to tow the trailer 300 miles each way for another camping trip.

It's been used through a Utah winter, and for 2k miles worth of camping trips since I bought it.

Maybe $6500 is low by 2022 standards, but $15k for one, one year newer, with less rust but a bunch of little problems (steering wheel, brakes, 200k miles, missing trim and interior fittings, wrong seats, etc.)... that's dreaming.

I probably put $1500-2000 into mine in various repairs and upgrades, most of that right within the first couple of months. So I'm into it $8500.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Yeah it's worth $15k even with your dirtiness. Pay and have it detailed where the carpet doesnt have mounds of dirt on it and isn't all stained. Order the tailgate gray textured retainers off clips and fasteners. Make sure you include the topper trim and brackets and hardware. Buyer will have to pay to have the steering wheel redone.

·
Registered
92 5.0 E4OD metallic root beer work in progress
298 Posts
Start an auction on eBay. I just watched a 92 start at 5 and sell for almost 30. Broncos are hot right now. Ride the wave. But definitely clean the interior, put on decent rubber, and buff the paint. You just might amaze yourself. Good luck. Don’t sell yourself short

1 - 20 of 39 Posts