Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be a bad thing if I put slightly larger tires in the back than what is up front on my Bronco? What are the issues in doing that?

Thanks

:doh0715:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It isn't a big deal unless you want to use your 4 wheel drive. The rear tires, being larger, will over run the front and it is really hard on the driveline. If the size difference is really big it could make it hard to steer when in 4 wheel drive. I would say if you have to do it, pull the front drive shaft. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
834 Posts
With different size tires, it is similar to changing your gear ratio to a mismatched one.
As others have said, when in 4X4, it will not be synching up and your rear tires will be spinning faster then your front ones.
Bad idea really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The guy who ownered mine before me did that and I am starting to find issues with the transfer case, he ran 35's in the back and 33's up front. I would suggest not doing it.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Technically, you could do it, but it'd have to be a permanent change and set up for it specifically.

You'd have to regear the front and rear differently, and the ratio between the gearing would have to be the ratio between the tires.
For example, 3.73 in the rear and 3.55s in the front.

3.73 / 3.55 = 1.05

33" tires * 1.05 = 34.7" tires.

Put 35" tires in the back with 3.73 gearing.
Put 33" tires in the front with 3.55 gearing.

That would be about the only way it would be possible if you wanted to still use 4 wheel drive. Quite a bit of work, it would have to be really specific, and would be a permanent change that would have to stick with the vehicle.

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
i agree with all these guys, i wouldnt do it unless i had no front driveshaft and only street drove it

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
If its a bog only vehicle. I see a few mud bog rigs running large (38"+) boggers on the rear and will run a 35"-36" tsl on the front. but they never see street. and its not off roading, or trail riding, its straight mud boggers.

I vote no. For reasons mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
what everybody else said..

...you could of course run WIDER tires on the back... that would be fine. it's the tire height (diameter) that has to match front and rear (assuming gear ratios match)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts