Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a high pressure sodium light, that I want to hang off the garage, or off the house. It's capable of accepting 120/207/240/277V, and would like to wire it for240, but may have to do it 120. Can anyone tell me which guage/size wire I would need, to do it either way?

·
Registered
222 Posts
We need to know the wattage rating of the fixture, the distance to the breaker panel (including loop to switch). FWIW do you have an empty space in the panel for another breaker?

240 is the way to go. In most cases 240 volt fixtures draw lower amps.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You should be safe with 12 but if its a long distance go with 10 to be sure.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broncomeaux said:
We need to know the wattage rating of the fixture, the distance to the breaker panel (including loop to switch). FWIW do you have an empty space in the panel for another breaker?

240 is the way to go. In most cases 240 volt fixtures draw lower amps.
It's a 400W bulb, with a 4A draw @ 120V, and 2A draw @ 240V

Unfortunately, I don't have any empty space in my panel, nor do I really have any on my meter box, outside (there is one 20A breaker there[along with the 400A breaker for the house], for the garage, with room for one more. Now, if it comes down to it, I can replace the meter box's panel, with one, to accomodate a mini-panel. I'd just need some help, in making that happen). The meter box is about 25ft from the garage, but with the wire routing I'd have to do, would probably be about 35ft

·
Registered
222 Posts
To answer the original question, 14 ga is more than enough to handle the amp with a 35' run.

Since you will be "piggy backing" into a breaker with existing load, get a circuit that has a low 240 volt load and follow the wiring diagram with the fixture to be safe. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Broncomeaux said:
Since you will be "piggy backing" into a breaker with existing load, get a circuit that has a low 240 volt load and follow the wiring diagram with the fixture to be safe. Good luck.
I do have a circuit that's not used much. I'll use that for the light

I do have a question on this topic. Can I make this -

into a mini-panel, for the garage? I'd like to add 2-3 240V circuits, and to split up the single 120V circuit that's there now, into 3-4 more 120V circuits

I'm probably SOL tho, huh?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh, maybe we'll save it for that phone call then. If you, or anyone else, can help me do a mini-panel on the box there, that'd save me alot of headache in trying to run everything I need, from the dryer outlet :toothless

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
whats the feed into the house (amp wise)?
I think he said 400amp service to his house...WOW I'd love to have that. Pretty rare around our way for anything over 200. BTW adding a sub panel is pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it's a doubled up 200A - Unless it's just a 200A, stamped twice :shrug - I'll have a better picture of that posted up pretty soon

*edit - it is 400A at the meter box, and 200A on the main panel. I'm wanting to wire the garage from the meter box

**edit - the meter box ...

If someone can help with wiring a sub-panel, I would be extremely grateful. I would like to put the sub-panel in the garage, but if I have to do it where the 20A garage circuit is, and just add a new faceplate, then fine by me

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Adding a sub is easy. You can power one just like adding another circuit. free up a 2 pole space (make sure the amperage draw of the sub panel you choose wont overload main), Install sub panel, run SER cable from new breaker to panel, Tie it in properly, add your circuits to sub. Run a new homerun if you need to for the breaker you deleted to add sub panel circuit. When I build my prefab steel garage, I may have to run electrical commercial style. If you need to dave, call me. I'm in the contacts list. I electrically rough residential.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
contacts list? funny, I don't believe I've ever seen it. I'll look for it, and might give a call sometime this weekend. Thanks for the offer!

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
What i was going to suggest doing.

I don't know how big your house is, but thats one of the first 400 amp mains i have seen. Our house, which is a large 5 bedroom colonial only runs a 250 amp main.

You could probably piggyback off the house and run it to a 200 amp Breaker box mounted in the garage.

Anything you do has to be done AFTER the breaker. I don't know how it works in your state, but our electric company gets picky if you start screwing with anything prior to the breaker.

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
See if your electric company won't wire it for you. My dad had a full electric pole installed for a security light in the backyard and it didn't cost anything they wired the whole thing and all he paid for was the light and the light sensor.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can check that out, and see if I can get an electric company to do it for free. But, knowing how cheap-ass everyone is around here, I'm not going to get my hopes up. It won't hurt to ask tho

Rob, like I said man, that 400 is on the meter box, and there's a 200A breaker in the panel ,in the house :shrug If I could piggyback off that 400, and add in the 200A panel in the garage, then I'd be golden, yeah? Am I even understanding that right???

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
good luck man I am just trying to offer you ideas that will save you money and sweat. You may have to prove the need for it. (My dad told them wild animals and thieves.) But they did it and he didn't even have to pay for the pole they installed. This was in KY though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts