Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at bidding on a 91 Exploder that needs a head gasket -
had to put a new radiator in it, ran like a top until I went far enough for the air bubble in the motor to build enough steam to blow a head gasket...every thing else works perfect.... no water in the oil...no oil in the water...just a leak between the water jacket and the cylinder. ..I looked into rebuilding it
DOES that sound like it just needs new gaskets, or would I be in for more than it's worth. The price is great, but I don't want to get it if it does need a rebuilt engine. I'm almost thinking this has got an aluminum head that might have gotten warped from this

yes, buy it? no, pass on it?

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
aren't you the guy that can't afford to get his owned truck running? .................... how much is cheap?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I'm a lil biased against it. I've been working on my dad's explorer for him since he bought it. It's just a major pain in the ass to work on. It really isn't even that great of a truck either. I'd pass it up for something that is reliable, and save your putter time for somethin worth fixin. Just my .02. On the other hand, if you don't mind working on it..... you could always just do a compression check on it before you buy. Get a solid diagnosis first I mean.

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
:stupid
I had a 92 explorer before I got the bronco it had 4.0 in it.
I tell ya that it was a good little truck but I sold it to my cousin (it only had 90,000 miles on it when I sold it and it only has 94,000 right now but the damn thing is not in good shape at all. It has already blew one of itz o2 sensor's but that's no biggie and the tranny feels like it is getting ready to go. Besides I have always heard once one them explorers get's over a 100,000 miles they pretty much crap out.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the one I was looking at - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2440476901&category=6783&rd=1

Granted, it's got a week left on it, so the price could get outta hand. This is the other one the person is selling - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2440460238&category=6783&rd=1 I'm kinda liking this one, since 91fordbaja has offered me a core trans for free, and finding an engine isn't hard. My thought for this one is, trade off the Tcase, drivelines and front ttb from it, for either an engine, or a 2wd front suspension, and convert this to 2wd, and later becoming a pre-runner

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
so many ideas that just waste away......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts