Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I searched older forums to see if I could find some cheap helpfull hints. But to no avail I couldn't. Here is my situation, I have a 351 with daul cats single exhaust. its got a edelbrock carb freshly rebuilt, edelbrock intake, msd distributor/wires. I have 35 inch tires on it. But i cant hold speed going up long hills and i would not want to tow anything heavy such as a boat or trailer. I need to know some ways to beef up power. would it be worth it to take off cats? would this really cause a great loss in power? I saw that thread. What about cams? daul exhaust? Help me please...

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
what gears do you have?

stock gears would kill you with 35"s

Dont do a dual exhaust, search for the maremont 3" pipe on here and go with a single high flow cat

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure it has stock gear's. What would be a good upgrade?

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
your biggest power loss is from running the 35s and (what im guessing) are the stock 3.55 gears. In my 94 i lose power on the hills so i have to tap the OD button but yeah regear it and youll notice an increase of power...maybe an aftermarket drop in filter (not to stir up an argument)

if you have the stock gears a good upgrade would be 4.56's...the bad news is theyre not a "cheap" power gain. pricey but necessary to gain the power back

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
probably 4.56 gears would be your best choice, but that is not a cheap job although it is deffinately worth it

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Cheap power mods?? No such thing for your case...You deff need to regear and I agree with the others, 4.56 would give you a HUGE improvement. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im starting to get excited its looking like the hardiest part of this is the time to do it. I am a do it yourself kinda person. Never done a gear swap before how hard is it to do? Should I consider a shop? "Not that I like them"

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
the rear is fairly straight forward, but the front is a pita. I personally I have never done a gear swap but this is what I've heard about it. Also you will need a new carrier for the front since you are putting gears lower (numerically higher) than 3.92 in

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Im starting to get excited its looking like the hardiest part of this is the time to do it. I am a do it yourself kinda person. Never done a gear swap before how hard is it to do? Should I consider a shop? "Not that I like them"
No, the hardest part of setting up gears is getting things in correct tolerances within thousandths of an inch.

You need special tools, and you should definitely not do your own set if you're not either very mechanically inclined and understand what's going on inside a differential, or you don't have someone spectating you for your first time.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Do you need a new carrier for 4.56's for the stock 8.8?

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
i would get it done by someone who knows what theyre doing. im a do it yourselfer to but gears i KNOW is beyond me

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:stupid

8.8 has no carrier break, and the d44 has a 3.92 carrier break.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Ok guys I searched older forums to see if I could find some cheap helpfull hints. But to no avail I couldn't. Here is my situation, I have a 351 with daul cats single exhaust. its got a edelbrock carb freshly rebuilt, edelbrock intake, msd distributor/wires. I have 35 inch tires on it. But i cant hold speed going up long hills and i would not want to tow anything heavy such as a boat or trailer. I need to know some ways to beef up power. would it be worth it to take off cats? would this really cause a great loss in power? I saw that thread. What about cams? daul exhaust? Help me please...
Jake, welcome here

You gotta ask yourself, how much am I willing to spend and what do I want my truck to do.

35s with stock gearing are not much good for offroading and not very good for hwy either, as you've found out. They're also a great part of the reason you won't feel comfortable towing something either.

They're also responsible for a major loss in gas mileage too, as even a 351 has to work harder to turn those beasts (you tried to pick up a mounted 35 compared to a stock tire/rim ?).

Mileage improvements and power improvements sometimes go hand in hand, though not all the time.

Luckily exhaust is one of those times. If you're past the year for emissions checks, with a carbed motor, I'd deep six those cats and get a better Y-pipe out to a 2 1/2" low restriction muffler (your choice) and the $25.00 3" mandrel bent Maremont tailpipe (like JD is suggesting).

Shorty headers wouldn't hurt a carbed motor either. That MSD distributor effectively got rid of your vacuum advance and that's bad news for your mileage. You're losing between 3 and 6 mpg at cruise.

If you went back to a Ford dist, with a Crane adjustable vacuum advance(@$29.00), you could tune it like this;

(Zoom in here)

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/4970/17585

and with that and your Edelbrock, tune and pull some real power(and free mileage) out of the combination you already have.

Lastly, ask yourself what do I use 35s for ? Once a month 4X4ing ? If, so and if you can't afford a re-gear, get an extra set of stock rims with cheap, stock sized hwy tires for 95% of the time (swap on the mudders on weekends you 4X4).

Suddenly your power will be back and so will a pile of your mileage and your ability to tow boats, etc.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Whose plugs are you running and what are they gapped at and whose coil do you have ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I see the guru has chimed in sixliter is the man with the answer you are looking for so listen to him on this.I couldnt imagine 35's with stock gears. Goodluck.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
You will need a series 4 carrier for the front Dana 44 for the 4.56 gears(it has a series 3 stock). Your rear 8.8 stock carrier will work with 4.56 gears. Also if you wheel it alot now would be the time to install lockers or L/S while regearing. I dont think regearing is that hard but I have done several, I have noticed a few write ups on this site about regearin. You might search for them and see if this is something you can handle yourself. The 8.8 is a cake walk. The Dana 44 TTB is a timely project but you could save yourself some money by removeing the pumpkin yourself and takeing it to a shop and have them install the gears. I would strongly suggest this because a shop is going to charge alot of labor if they have to tear down the front axles also. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You guys are so awesome. I was really kinda scared to post a new thread like this but you guys seem to really be such a big help. I really like the look of the truck as it sits now. I think it would look retarded with anthing smaller of a tire. With that said And im looking at what "sixlitre" was talking about.
i run auto lite plugs, and im sure they need to be changed they have atleast 10k on them lol. I know I know "bangin' head on dash now". Still using the stock coil. I have a blaster 2 coil but I wanted to wait tell i got the msd ignition too.. Would it help to put it on? I just got it running i put a new/used 351 in it. And right after I did this I broke the flexplate. I posted a thread about this "help" you guys helped me there too.It sat for a good two years almost. And now she is back alot more to offer then the old engine "wow" like the difference between night and day...

So i should seriously think about exhaust hmmmm..???? I already have a 1 in. spacer in it. and ram air? im not sure how you would do that with a carb?
do they make such a thing...???? Next week im going to look into what its going to cost for the gear swapp. Im really thinking that this would help alot. This is my daily driver and my player.. HaHa and yes i beat the crap out of it..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts