Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was driving to get my hair cut. Came out started my truck put it in reverse. Continued out of the parking spot. I applied the brake pedal, and heard a loud clunk sound coming from the rear end. Put it in drive and took off in the parking lot. As I aprotched the stop sign. My brakes went to the floor, let off hit the brakes again floor. So I pumped the brakes up I got some what of a pedal. I stopped got out of the truck, looked at all the wheels no leaks. Pop the hood had no leaks from the master cylinder, and it was also full. Continued home.

Went to work the next day. Reversed out my drive way hit the brakes and the was real spongy. Put it in drive, drove about 50ft hit the brakes, spongy, and almost went to the floor. About a inch or two from the floor. Pumped the brakes got some what of a good pedal. So I went to work on the way to work the stopping power wasn't there. Like it was.

So when I got to work I had a buddy to run me to the auto parts store. And got a new master cylinder. Bench bled the master cylinder, and in stalled it. Also bled it at the wheels. Had a good steady stream, and a good pedal. Put it in drive drove about 50ft it the pedal it still was good. Drove around for about five minutes. Pulled back up to work put it in park, let off pedal. Hit the brake pedal again, went almost to the floor. So I drove it home. Spongy brake pedal not that good of stopping power. If I had to slam on the brakes I wouldn't have been able to stop. After this happen with the brakes I been hearing a squeaky so come from the rear end when I hit the brake pedal

Before all this I have been hearing a swesh sound coming from my brakes pedal.

Could some body help me on this I don't know what else to do.

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
check the drum brakes. the self-adjuster parts probably came apart or a spring broke. had it happen to me offroad a few times and causes the pedal to be like that. the parts that came loose will rattle around in the drum as you drive. as for the sweshing noise, that's a common noise from the brake booster since it relies on vacuum pressure which is released when the pedal is pushed. if you hold the pedal in the same spot and it continues, the brake booster is bad

drum brakes are abit difficult for a 1st timer who hasn't done them before and isn't very mechanically inclined. the brake booster is pretty easy to change out, I would swap one in from an F350 if you do, its stronger and cheaper but is bigger so its alittle harder to get in but not bad

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Yep clunk and sponginess sounds like a spring broke.

The drums are a huge pain in the ass, especially the springs. Wish they sold the whole thing assembled lol, I'd pay for the convenience.

If you are doing it make sure you take both drums off but only work on one at a time so you can see how everything goes back together.

Also keep in mine after a break job you will have to let your brakes wear in for a few miles, they will feel like crap for awhile until the self adjuster does its thing and the shoes grind to match the drum better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I changed the master cylinder out thinking that was the cause of the low brake pedal. When I bled the brakes out I notice that the back wheel cylinder on the drive side was loose. Tighten it up. And that was Friday

So to day I took the the back tires off and noticed that the brakes was out of adjustment. And also the wheel cylinder was loose again. I'm going to check it when I get home to see if it loosen back up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts