Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
earlier i got my new engine running, i have a 94' 5.0 xlt bronco, tranny is automatic and stock. anyways earlier my truck went into reverse and backed up,i put it in drive and it pulled forward. great right? but now a couple of hours later i was gonna drive it. it acts like it is in neutral, the lever moves over (P R D 1 2) with no prob but it just rolls and RPMs kick up to 1500 RMP and when it idles it sits at 1000 RPM. putting it in 4H and 4L dont help any. fluid is not low. and before you say it i used the search and couldnt find anything that helps. what is wrong with this thing????

·
Registered
710 Posts
is it push button 4x4? when was the last time you drove it with that transmission and what did it do then?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i bought the truck with a blown engine, and its a shifter not push button. and its been sitting a year. i just got the new engine timed right. so i dont know how it acted before i fixed the engine issue. i bought ts about 3 weeks ago

·
Registered
710 Posts
hmmm.... doesn't sound good...

You're gonna want to pull the pan, I think the best thing you can hope for here (it it's got plenty of fluid like you said) is that your filter may have fallen off into your pan. That isn't unheard of and when that happens it can't draw fluid.

maybe someone else will know something else for you to check first without dropping your pan (tranny fluid is expensive) but honestly I think that's the best you can hope for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well money isnt a issue right now, i just want this dang thing fixed, ill drop the pan and check

·
Registered
710 Posts
one good thing though... SCORE ON THE MANUAL TRANSFER CASE!!! Most newer broncs like ours have the stupid push button on the dash, those mess up all the time.

I hope your transmission is ok, but the bright side is if you have to rebuild it, it'll be new :toothless

If you have the time to do it, don't be scared about rebuilding a transmission yourself. It is really really easy, I was scared to death of them and I've rebuilt 3 now. ATSG makes a really good book for rebuilding auto transmissions. I just rebuilt the transmission out of my 2000 f-250 diesel and yours should be just about the same as that one. Seriously it is very easy if you need to (hoping you don't) buy the 20 dollar book off of ebay for your transmission and have a read through it, then decide if you want to rebuild it or not.

also, when they start talking about special tools... don't worry about it, you can make them pretty easy. I made all of my "special" tools out of scrap stuff I had laying around.

but hopefully it will be a mute point, and your transmission is fine, just has a line unhooked or the filter fell off.

p.s. the filter is just held in by friction, it's got a little rubber washer deal (kinda like an O-ring) that holds it in place, if it did fall down into the pan, make sure you get that O-ring out of the hole and put it back on the filter.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Check your Haynes Repair Manual for an illustration ref. "Point A" in the transmission section or www.broncolinks.com and see if the 94 has an adjustment at the "column shift linkage bolt and transmission tab" or something similar....the column shifter maybe out of sync with the transmission going thru PRNDL...linkage, bushings can get loose and worn over time.

My 86 allows me to loosen the CSL bolt just enough to click the TAB all the way back until it stops and then 2 clicks forward and tighten the bolt, now both the PRNDL column shift linakage and trasmission are syncronized...

I figured this out when I kept getting a code: 67 A/C or NSS issue so since I removed all the AC hardware I discovered my reverse white lights would come on in P when I started the vehicle but if I wiggled the column shifter the lights would go out, a little research and there you have it, takes about 10 minutes max underneath the truck assuming there is a similar procedure for your 94 BKO...

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my linkage is all good, i already had that checked earlier. im gonna try what goober said about the filter, when i started the new engine it shook rather hard

·
Registered
710 Posts
got your P.M. bummer that it wasn't the filter... it sounds bad to me, but maybe someone will come along and have a better idea of something to check or be able to better diagnose it rather than my "rebuild it" cure all.

good luck man.

p.s. like I said earlier though, try not to be too bummed out about it, if you do have to rebuild it "it'll be new" so you won't have to worry about it later.

also, it is possible that your transfer case is messed up, rather than your transmission... of course that's not really any cheaper to fix...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sent another P.M. i have 4 of my synthetic qt's. now at $8 a qt, $96 more dollars worth just to see if that was the problem haha

·
Registered
710 Posts
whew, ouch... if it doesn't work, drain that stuff back into an extremely clean container so you can re-use it. Just a little bit of junk can mess up a transmission so it's gotta be clean, but man that's expensive!!!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,069 Posts
So you bought the truck with a blown engine right? And you never got to drive it until you put it into reverse, and it rolled a few feet, right?

Are you sure you got the torque converter in properly?

Here's a quick test you can do. This is to see if the tranny is pumping fluid.

Disconnect a tranny line at the radiator. Now, having a second person helps here ALOT. Place a pan or bucket under the line your taking loose. Once loose, have someone else to fire it up, AND make sure they are aware that you could have them shut it down instantly, to watch you for the cue. If fluid starts pouring out, the pump is working and therefore the converter is most likely seated properly. The fluid will come out extremely fast once the engine is running so be ready to yell, "SHUT IT DOWN!!"

This will rule the converter/pump issue out.

·
Registered
710 Posts
So you bought the truck with a blown engine right? And you never got to drive it until you put it into reverse, and it rolled a few feet, right?

Are you sure you got the torque converter in properly?

Here's a quick test you can do. This is to see if the tranny is pumping fluid.

Disconnect a tranny line at the radiator. Now, having a second person helps here ALOT. Place a pan or bucket under the line your taking loose. Once loose, have someone else to fire it up, AND make sure they are aware that you could have them shut it down instantly, to watch you for the cue. If fluid starts pouring out, the pump is working and therefore the converter is most likely seated properly. The fluid will come out extremely fast once the engine is running so be ready to yell, "SHUT IT DOWN!!"

This will rule the converter/pump issue out.

good to know... see i told ya someone would be along shortly who may have another bit of help for you!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts