Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally settled into Grovetown, Ga and getting started on fixing up my 89' Bronco. It runs and drives ok. I really need somewhere in the area that can maybe help me point out where start and which problems that I need to work on first. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
probably should post in the correct section...

my .02 is to find someone really well versed in these trucks and have them point out a few things to start with...

or do it the way i've done it.

Take $102.00 to the ford dealership and tell them to do a bumper to bumper check...they give you a written statement with EVERYTHING wrong with the rig. Then start from there :D

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Start by replacing the timing chain and water pump.... Honestly, just replace everything that is external on the engine. Then start with the transmission and then go with the entire truck, thats what i did and my Bronco runs great, It will cost a few thousand if you do the work yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I would start with checking out the brakes. Replace front pads and rear shoes if needed. Then a complete tune up on the engine - plugs, wires, rotor, rotor cap, check timing, change oil and all filters. Have the tranny serviced - if auto. Then drive it - the things that need work will show up quickly!

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
One thing you will find is, a Bronco Is a never ending Labor of Love. Theres a never ending list of things to fix. I think the best place to start is to make it safe, then make it run good, then fix things as they pop up. As with any old machine, when you fix one part it often causes another to break. Or you will have to take something off to get to what you need to fix and find that it broke when you removed it.

Safety concerns I would look at FIRST.
Brakes! Brakes! Brakes!
While your doing the brakes, check for fluid leaks. One thing I like to do, is clean the engine and bay as good as I can. Then watch for any leaks on the newly clean surface to show.
If you notice any vibrations in the front end, its time to look after that. Steering Box, Pitman Arm, Tie Rod Ends, Drag Link, Alignment Bushings, Sway Bar Bushings, Radius Arm Bushings, Grease Bearings, Check SHocks, Look for any damage to the suspension. Check Radiator Support and Body Mounts for Rust.

Make it Run!
A good sixlitr Tune up. Search the Site for it.
Change all Fluids. Oil, Transmission FLuid, Front and Rear Diff gear oil - Go ahead and pull the cover to inspect them anyway, amazing how many people change the gear ratio on the back and never get around to it on the front, then when you go off road and hit 4WL your front axle explodes.
Check your alternator, replace with a 3G from RJMinjection.com, they also have all the wiring kits as well.
Check your battery. A New Group 65 Heavy Duty Battery is worth the cost.
Check the wiring to the starter, mine was barely connected and the connector was worn out, so I cut it off and replaced it.
Check your ground straps.
Clean Everything you can, thoroughly. Youll be surprised what you find usually.
Flush cooling system, change Thermostat, waterpump if required. When in Doubt, get a new one, they are cheap, then youll know.
Check and replace any worn Hoses and Belts.
Pull Codes for ABS system.
Pull ECM codes KOER KOEO tests (http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=94)

This should keep you busy for a few months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which section should I post in?
And if I take it to a dealer they'll probably not let me drive it off the lot. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The motor has been replaced. Came stock with 5.0, still has a 5.0 just not the original.
As for transmission, it's a autommatic with push button 4X4, I dont know more than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To scoop: I plan on replacing all fluids and plugs and wires this coming week. Soon I'll need to do something with the steering. It's way loose.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Common sense, follow or make your own list to do a certain number of items at a time so you don't break the bank gets it done.

Best DIY sources:

FSB ~ "search" above
Haynes Repair Manual
www.broncolinks.com
www.fordfuelinjection.com
FSB member El Kabong's - "baba loohey's favorite FSB links" and questions
FSB member Steve83's - tech album, click on his black Bronco takes you to it

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
To scoop: I plan on replacing all fluids and plugs and wires this coming week. Soon I'll need to do something with the steering. It's way loose.
If it's that bad you might as well do all the wear items in the front end since they are likely close to being worn out. BJs, TREs, bearings, hubs seals, hubs if you currently have autos, ujoints in the front axle shafts and drive shafts, radius arm bushings, TTB pivot bushings, etc.

Like jowens suggested, alternator, battery (I'd personally upgrade to 2 batteries), starter, do ALL (+,-) the battery cables and terminals from the battery to the engine ground, alt (3g) , solenoid, etc. Electrical stuff has left me stranded many times and usually shows no signs of failure. Make sure you get that you get the biggest battery you can fit with the longest warranty. DO NOT BUY WALMART!

You should probably do the leaf spring and shackle bushings as well as bearings in the rear axle. VSS sensors do like to failure which could leave your transmission in a severe state of confusion. You don't have rust issues so you don't have to worry about the shackle hangers, radius arm backets, etc. that usually rot away.

Do the hoses, belts, etc. and inspect all brake lines. Probably should replace all the rubber flex lines. x2 on the water pump since it's cheap enough, do the tensioner and idler pulleys. Do the radiator as well.

I would do fuel pump and fuel lines (ALL). How many miles on the engine? Might want to do distributor and injectors. Although if an injector fails it won't leave you stranded.

Do the TPS, Oxy, etc. sensors. TPS ****s shit up in an auto when it completely dies.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head and that will leave you stranded. In a vehicle this old all lights are suspect for failure as well but you can drive without a headlight or taillight til you reach home base. Same goes for anything rubber.

Whatever you do DON"T cheap out. You don't want 1 thing you didn't get a quality part for leave you stranded and out of money. It's happen to me more thank once. :banghead

Save all your usable old parts for spares! Or sell it to gain some money back.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
rockauto.com, advance auto parts has coupon codes online, and then you have amazon and ebay to also source quality parts (motorcraft).

Just take your time bud, anything is fixable!! Everything you need to know is on this website. Start out changing your fluids. oil/filter, auto atf, internal filter, add a remote filter and make sure you have a transmission cooler on there, and change the atf in the t-case and gear oil in the 8.8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the advice, and I do plan to slowly replace most moving parts.
While I can work on cars I am not very knowledgable on 4X4's, so I will be asking questions regularly.

Is play in the steering an easy fix?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I appreciate all the advice, and I do plan to slowly replace most moving parts.
While I can work on cars I am not very knowledgable on 4X4's, so I will be asking questions regularly.

Is play in the steering an easy fix?
Most of the time it's usually just bad TREs and/or BJs. If it's the box you're better off replacing/rebuilding it but supposedly there are some adjustments you can make to tighten it up in return for less response backlash (iirc) which is the return to center.

X2 on that transmission cooler! Heat the E4OD up enough and it'll start leaking uncontrollably and eventually die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts