Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a set of Swampers and want to know what would suite me best. I do a lot on road driven more so tha wheelen I was looking for all around performance.

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was think of putting them on street locks. Unless someone knows a reason I should not. Thanks Dale:thumbup

P.S I did do a search before I asked. Nothing jumped out and answered my question.:banghead

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
some people i know are saying that the street locks are kinda good cause the lip size is increased to keep the bead seated better than a regular tire, i dont know if this is true, i cannot picture what they are saying, maybe you guys can better explain that

wes

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
get radials, either the SSRs or the TSL radials. what kind of wheeling do you do? i am assuming mud since you are from the south. i would go with the TSLs if you do mostly mud.

streetlocks? all those are are just fancy looking wheels, unless you're thinking of something different than me. they won't do anything that a regular steely won't do, and their looks don't fool anyone.:shrug

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
andy if you look at the street locks they have a bigger outer ring, thats what they are saying helps hold the bead, i dunno, just what i was told

wes

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
For just an everyday tire I'd say the SSR's...the tread pattern isn't as eggresive but enough so that it should still be a decent mud tire. Trust me Andy's right definitly go radial regardless...I meant to order radials when I bought mine I just forgot to say radial at the end of my order and ended up with regular TSL's, as a daily driver they are a nightmare!!!:banghead

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
wes 03 said:
andy if you look at the street locks they have a bigger outer ring, thats what they are saying helps hold the bead, i dunno, just what i was told
the bead is on the inside of the wheel. how would having stuff on the outside of the wheel help the tire stay on. the only thing i would believe about them is that the lip of the wheel is marginally stronger because there is more metal there.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
3.50 gears.
hhmmm
You need to regear.

Why didnt you post Goodyear MTR's?
Those tires are amazing, strong, reliable, and a lot lighter, and less expensive than ssr, tsl, etc.

This is just my opinion, but those tires carry a lot of weight and dont last quite as long either. :shrug

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
OH, and BTW if you are mostly a street driver then stay away from bias ply tires.
So that scrathes like half your list off.

Your welcome.:toothless

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
thats what i was thinking too, mtr's. My delaership's got 37's for 189.00 each. No shipping Plus my discount i'll get em for like 160. i've seen em in action, seem to do well all around and wear a lot more than swampers. then again i'm running at's so what do i know:shrug

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
In my opinion you left off the best "all around" TSL. The TSL SX.

Much like the Bogger, you're not going to get alot of milage out of them on the street and they're Bias ply but the payback you get off road is worth it.

BTW- Bias ply tires are fine on the street. They just have to warm up a bit but it's no big deal.

I run both.

MTR's are a great tire for rocks and trails and do very well on the pavement but if you mud more then you rock you probley won't be happy with the MTR's off hi-way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well if I'm to go with your poll I would say Il ike the plain tsl radials and they handle pretty well on road and last a decent amount of time. However since you didn't say how many miles you are looking to get out of your tires I would venture to say the good years would be a feasible suggestion if your not into real gumbo type mud.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I've heard rave revues about perneli jones (SP) if they made 'em big enough for my rig I'd buy a set. The guy I buy my tires from localy is runnin a set and he loves his! He said they ride as good if not better than BFG A/T's...now thats smooth!:eek:

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 35" M/T's now but was looking to go to 38" tires as for gears I already have a 4:88 for my 9" just got to get ready for the 44. As for the street locks I heard that the were made thicker than alot of steel wheels. The ones I have now I bent the crap out of them and they can hardly be balanced I am tired of shaking when I get out of my truck.

·
Registered
871 Posts
MTR's...There is a thread on POR, I think it was in the toyota forum. Somebody had bought 37's for $160 each and somebody else posted another receipt for 35's for $140 each. I printed the receipts for the 35's and took it down to the local wally world. They matched the price and my tries should be here in a couple of days. Just in time to get my sh!t together and install the lift by the end of the weekend.:beer

1 - 20 of 34 Posts