Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8L 351W
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in serious need of help. I bought a 1996 5.8L hgo pop Bronco and with all the things controlled by Murphy and his damn law I blew that motor first day. Pulled the old 5.8 and got me a reman long block. Fairly competent with mechanics and not my first motor job but problem I have is this elusive 1996 timing pointer. P.O. at some point pulled it off and never put it back but now stabbing the dizzy is just a calculated guess. Ford counter jockeys are about as much help as sandpaper on hemorrhoids. They all say that the pointer is the same from 70’s to 96 in 302 or 351 platform. “Not so” I say. Pre 96 did not have the misfire sensor and in 1996 it was added with OBDII. So if I try the old pointer I am physically unable to mount sensor. The only reference to part # I find refers to 6023 which is the right number for everything except the 96. So I need help locating the pointer that mounts over misfire sensor using same mounting bolts. Ford Service manual says 5.8 pointer and sensor are serviced separately and 5.0 sensor and pointer are mayed and serviced together. Will a 5.0 sensor work? Either way counter chumps say no joy either way, they can’t find a number and it doesn’t show anything else. I’m firefighter and need to get truck back online so I can commute without leaving wife and 4 mini humans at home without a way to move around for 24 plus hours. Does anybody have one laying around of scrap motor or part number and source. I have tried all local part houses and all salvage yards within 2 hours of the house. Thanks for the help
Sorry for the length just frustrated and ready to get to it.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,053 Posts
Shoot me a pic, if guessing 96 gotta be a 96 I have an 86 up we’re stripping. If it fits it’s yours on your dime for shipping. I’m in Oregon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you can't get help here with the number, try the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum in the
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks section.
There are some very helpful people there that are wizards with Ford part numbers. Number Dummy comes to mind.
From what I have read on there after searching, it is a knock sensor not a misfire sensor and most have just eliminated it without any problems. Good luck

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here’s the one on the 300
C6997231-F01B-41F9-A012-C2189D5BAB7A.jpeg

Here’s the one on the 86 parts rig, V8 not sure which one didn’t even really look yet.
D5DACA8B-2E95-4BE7-AF7E-CEA1BDB32D65.jpeg

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,411 Posts
I got a spare 351 out of a '96; if you're not in a rush, give me a few days and I'll take a look.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8L 351W
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a spare 351 out of a '96; if you're not in a rush, give me a few days and I'll take a look.
Cobra joe, That would be great. I used a older style just removing the misfire sensor to static time it. Hopefully close enough to to fire it off and know at least it will run but would love to dial in timing while running. So yeah let me know.

·
Man of endless projects
8,950 Posts
as you found out, the 96 uses a crankshaft position sensor that the other years dont have and because of it it uses a special timing pointer, harmonic balancer and timing cover. i was desperate for one for my 88 with 96 EFI then realized you can buy a crank position sensor for an 5.0 Explorer and many have the pointer built on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts