Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into a buying a 78 or 79 bronco for a while. i just some one in the news paper the other day and I need some advice.
This is what it says.

'79 Ford Bronco 4x4, good paint some rust, good rims/tires. Engine dosen't run (unknown problems). Extra Ford engines, transmission, transfer case, and assorted extra Ford parts. Good project. $1200 obo.

I have enough money to buy it but not a lot more. I really don't want to end up with a broke down truck in my front yard.

What would you do?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would see if the owner would take around $700 or $800 for it and then sell those "extra parts" to get you some cash. Then have a mechanic analize the truck to see what needs done to make it run. The worst case scenario would be (after selling the parts you don't want/need) having an almost free, broken truck. The best case scenario being having a truck that just needs a rebuild for a couple grand and some work. That's what I would do. If it was closer to FL I would buy it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I am going call about it after i get off work tomarow.
Does any one else have any good ideas?

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you're wanting just the 78-79 model go to www.projectbronco.com all they deal in is the 78-79 bronco. Plus the 73-79 f-series because a lot of the parts are the same.

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's also a little high for a non-running rusty truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That site is a good one but there is not a hole lot in Wa.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Torre said:
That site is a good one but there is not a hole lot in Wa.

Please let me know what you think.
I agree, 1200$ would be a bunch of money round here for a rusty, non running truck. But if there are very few in the area, maybe the price is more warranted. We can get running, rusty broncs here all day long for 5-700$. I would try to find one that is at least running. Besides the engine, you can't check the tranny, TC, or axles real well on rig that does not even move. It could need all kinds of drivetrian work also (which is sounds like you don't have oney for). I'd pass on it.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree, pass on it especially if you are not apretty good mechanic w/spare time. Also, in my experience, "Some rust" usually means lots of rust.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I was told there is a running one for sale, in washington, over @ PJB right now??

·
Registered
727 Posts
It seems like i find quite a few for sale in the Wash-OR area. Go to projectbronco and spend some time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
when i bought my 78 it was not running, engine would turn though, just not start. gave the guy 100 bucks for it, poured some gas in the carb, started right up, drove it home. but of course the guy let me tinker with it to see if i could get it running before i bought it. Besides from the tranny leak, and the rear end leaking, it runs and drives great, so dont overlook somthing if u find it cheap, the person whos selling it may not know much about cars and just wants to get rid of it couse they dont know what to do and dont want to put money in it.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sometimes you have to be willing to look outside your area. Some sellers are willing to meet halfway if it's not too far.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Torre said:
. $1200 obo.

I have enough money to buy it but not a lot more. I really don't want to end up with a broke down truck in my front yard.

What would you do?
You're going to at minimum start with a broke down truck in your front yard if you buy this one. If you pay $1200 and that is all you have, even best case scenario, you're probably not going to have a dependable running truck. I can't even think what best case scenario would be, starter gear jammed in the flywheel, maybe. If you really want THIS truck, I'd offer him $250 and go to $500. I think if you are patient you can find what you want, likely running. Are you stuck on 78-79 because of looks, solid front axle, Dad had one, or what? There are a bazillion TTB Broncs out there too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts