Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1995 bronco Eddie Bauer 351w auto trans
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You mention your rear main is bad. Do you plan on fixing that while doing your rebuild, replacement. The reason I ask is, if you are planning on doing that first, unless it is leaking badly, I wouldn't mess with it. You stated you were taking it to a shop. The labor for that is a decent amount, and they will need to pull the tranny back or motor out to replace. If it can wait, just do the rebuild, replace or whatever it is you end up doing. Thats my .02, so take it with a grain of salt.
that was my original plan but it makes sence if i can get the money for it might as well pull the whole drive line and send things off to get work done to them all at the same time to keep the overall price lower. but yes it leaks some what bad and with my house being somewhat new my dad donent like it staining the drive so as of now i have a piecs of cement board under it to catch everything but i think i lose about a quart or oil a month or so

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I also forgot to mention in my last post (#14) make sure your Bronco is operating at its Designed potential timing, sensors, fuel system, induction system, ignition system, exhaust system etc that everything is operating correctly. The 5.8 isn't a power house but it still isn't that bad when it is operating at 100% either. Mine still feels great at 309,000 miles going strong and getting decent MPGs, Just some more thoughts.
i have replaced just about everything all i have left is the o2 sensor and induction system but the exhaust should be good with having the 2nd cat gutted and a 6 inch glasspack and hopefully soon ill have a side exit in front of the rear tires

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,347 Posts
You can always drill a hole in the piping before the first Cat and check the backpressure in the system and then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,347 Posts
As little as possible maybe 1psi at idle or less and 3psi max at 2500 rpm. you can also remove the O2 sensor and test at that opening. You can also check with a vacuum gage connected to the intake manifold and check the vacuum readings, it's a little harder to interpret the readings though. You can look it up online if you need more input about both procedures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As little as possible maybe 1psi at idle or less and 3psi max at 2500 rpm. you can also remove the O2 sensor and test at that opening. You can also check with a vacuum gage connected to the intake manifold and check the vacuum readings, it's a little harder to interpret the readings though.
ok i will consider that for sure and look into it for sure

·
I did done broke it
2,401 Posts
I have attempted to use my Bronco to tow stuff and I would ultimately advise against it. The wheel base is too short so the trailer winds up steering you, instead of vice versa. I had the same idea as you though and I wanted to try it. If you are absolutely dead set on towing with your Bronco, the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is get some sort of tailer leveling kit. I had a cheap airbag kit and it worked ok. The airbags kept the driveline straight but towing still wasn't the best.
First question is, what the heck were you trying to tow? I've towed all sorts of stuff with my Bronco with no issue.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
First question is, what the heck were you trying to tow? I've towed all sorts of stuff with my Bronco with no issue.
Probably some bedknobs and broomsticks.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
941 Posts
I'd spend the $8k on a truck and save the miles on your bronco.

I know this is kind of a "nobody asked" answer but I wish someone would have told me this 5 years ago.
I tell people this all the time, but the truth is not what they want to hear...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
a 12 foot single axle trailer and a mower or 2 so im guessing about 1500 pounds but it pulls ok as of now but i want to have more power

·
I did done broke it
2,401 Posts
a 12 foot single axle trailer and a mower or 2 so im guessing about 1500 pounds but it pulls ok as of now but i want to have more power
Not you, the guy who was saying Broncos are bad for towing

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
no i have not thought of doing a regear because im still in high school and it will be my daily driver and going 70 mph im already at 2300 rpm or so and i dont like doing that because im almost at 200,000 miles and dont know the condition of the engine and trans but if i were to do a 408 stroker kit and a regear what gears would you recommend?
you also said:

yes its 3.55 with 31 inch tires and ive been thinking of upgrading to 33 inch tires, and for the transmission ive been having problems with it shifting and my rear main seal is bad so im going to get that fixed by a shop and at the same time im thinking of getting a transmission rebuild at the same time.
So it appears your rpms don't match up for having 3.55's and 31" tires at 70mph you should be at approx. 1931rpms.
If you have 4.10s and 31" tires then you would be at 70mph turning approx. 2230rpms.
If you have 4.56s and 31" tires then you would be at 70mph turning approx. 2480rpms.

You need to find out what gears you have first to know where you are at in the gearing department. It appears you have 4.10s judging by the rpms of 2300-ish at 70 so you said.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
you also said:

So it appears your rpms don't match up for having 3.55's and 31" tires at 70mph you should be at approx. 1931rpms.
If you have 4.10s and 31" tires then you would be at 70mph turning approx. 2230rpms.
If you have 4.56s and 31" tires then you would be at 70mph turning approx. 2480rpms.

You need to find out what gears you have first to know where you are at in the gearing department. It appears you have 4.10s judging by the rpms of 2300-ish at 70 so you said.
i know i have 3.55 im lucky enough to have the original window sticker and ive never replaced them and the PO i know well also and they didn't replace them so I know they are 3.55. i have heard from someone in here that the torque converter could be bad and in think it because i use to have a TQ converter code

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i know i have 3.55 im lucky enough to have the original window sticker and ive never replaced them and the PO i know well also and they didn't replace them so I know they are 3.55. i have heard from someone in here that the torque converter could be bad and in think it because i use to have a TQ converter code
Well I just wanted to bring this discrepancy to your attention as it is a big one (400-ish rpms), whether it be your Torque converter and or Transmission or gearing or something dragging being brakes or whatever. These could be draining some of the power you are complaining is missing/lacking. First things first get your bronco working as best as it can before looking for more power elsewhere.

The gearing can be checked by raising the rear off the ground and counting the turns of the driveshaft to the turns of the tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well I just wanted to bring this discrepancy to your attention as it is a big one (400-ish rpms), whether it be your Torque converter and or Transmission or gearing or something dragging being brakes or whatever. These could be draining some of the power you are complaining is missing/lacking. First things first get your bronco working as best as it can before looking for more power elsewhere.
what would you reccomend i do first? look at brakes to see if there is any drag in the brakes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Are you sure your torque converter is locking up? When driving, you should feel 4 shifts: 1-2, 2-3, 3-Lockup, lockup-OD (or something to that effect, depending on your throttle amount and acceleration rate).
im starting to get a feeling that its not. i feel and hear it shift up to 2 or 3 but dont notice anything after that

21 - 40 of 52 Posts