Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
sell it and buy a smaller vehicle.

ok seriously though.. just make sure it's tuned up well (look up SixLitre's tune up for some tips) and other than that there isn't much you can do except maybe alter you're driving habits. i'd expect you to get around 10 city, 14 highway if it's running well. perhaps 10-15% better if you're somewhere which doesn't have ethanol in the fuel.

also remember that big tires, and lift's reduce mileage. oh, and be sure you're thermostat is working properly (engine runs at 190 degrees, about 1/3 of the way up the stock temp gauge etc) if you're engine is running too cold it may never leave its "cold start" mode (which is essentially like running with the choke on constantly)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts

You're never going to see over ~18 mi/gal MAX, more-typical values in the 12-15 range, and your odds go further down with larger tires and increased speed.

Try searching for "sixlitre tune-up," "fuel economy," "mileage," and so forth. You should find more than you can read in a fortnight.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,238 Posts
His description says he has the 5.8l though... And I've heard the sixliter doesn't always work so great on our 5.8s?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
It's just a baseline ignition timing bump, a basic internal combustion engine premise for gaining throttle response. Its principles work for any engine.

I use my Quarter Horse for changing my ignition timing. No more timing light & wrench for me. :toothless

·
Registered
710 Posts
it's your tires, as stated above.

I get nearly 20 out of my bronco, call me a liar if you wish, but it's a combination of driving style, all stock suspension tires and gearing, and a 5 speed.

Mostly it's the driving style, when you take off do it slowly, that will make the biggest difference, just give the pedal enough to maintain 50-55 and let it slow down on hills. you can squeeze mpg out of a truck just by driving it better. Imagine the pedal costing you money...

other than that, I put a new timing chain in mine, and did the timing bump and that helped lots and lots.

If I drive it like a normal human i get around 15 mpg, but by babying the throttle I get nearly 20, and the straight connectivity of the stick helps alot also, I don't get any "loss" on takeoff which is where most of your mpg goes to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Improve how the engine breaths. A gasoline engine is essentially an air pump. Put a better intake/filter in (FIPK for exp.) and a high flow, less restrictive exhaust (Borla S/S for exp).... But brace yourself, you'll only ever manage to get 14-17 MPG, if you drive like you're 80. With all those mods, you'll love the sound... and consequently, have your right foot mashed to the firewall. And your gas mileage gets worse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im planning on new spark plugs and wires to help as well
and also am having a custom built stainless Y pipe soon to be installed
Would a new fuel filter and cold air intake help much?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Nope. Might actually make things worse with the CAI, since the factory setup is already cold-air.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's just a baseline ignition timing bump, a basic internal combustion engine premise for gaining throttle response. Its principles work for any engine.

I use my Quarter Horse for changing my ignition timing. No more timing light & wrench for me. :toothless
Sig can you use your QH to retard timing during cranking?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Sig can you use your QH to retard timing during cranking?
I'm fairly sure all TFI-based systems go to baseline timing during cranking.

Ford LHBH1 Strategy Documentation said:
Relevant Bit Flags:

- SA10FG = Flag indicating if spark advance should echo PIP in RUN mode; 0
-> do RUN mode spark advance logic, 1 -> Set SAF to 10 deg. BTDC and
fire spark on rising edge of PIP.

- UNDSP = Flag indicating Engine mode; 0 -> RUN mode, 1 -> UNDERSPEED or
CRANK mode.

PROCESS
STRATEGY MODULE: SPARK_BASE_COM2

NORMAL SPARK CALCULATION (SPK_NORM)
(All spark states)

SPK_NORM refers to the value of spark advance determined from the spark
tables and appropriate modifying functions as shown below. SPK_NORM is the
value used for SAF when SPK_STATE = 0. However, SPK_NORM is always
calculated, even if SPK_STATE is not 0, to provide the correct value to the
SPK_EXIT calculation when leaving feedback spark.

. . . . . . . . .APT = 1 ------------------------ |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |AND -|S Q--| SA10FG = 1
. . . . . . N_BYTE < DFTRPM -----------------|. . . .|. . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |. . . .| --- ELSE ---
. . . . . . . . .APT < 1 -------------------------|. . . .|. . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |OR --|C. . . .| SA10FG = 0
. . . . .N_BYTE > DFTRPM + DFTRPH --------|

. . . . . . . . . . .UNDSP = 1 -----------------------------|
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |OR --| SAF = 10 deg BTDC
. . . . . . . . . . .SA10FG = 1 ----------------------------|. . . . | EXIT Base Spark Angle Logic
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| --- ELSE ---
. . . . . . . NEWSA = 0 -----------------------------------| Do NOT update SAF
. . . (previous value not used yet). . . . . . . . . . . . . | EXIT Base Spark Angle Logic
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| --- ELSE ---
. . . . . . .NEWSA = 1 -----------------------------------| Continue with Base Spark
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| Angle Logic
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| Calculate new SAF based on
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| SPK_STATE
Basically, when in cranking mode (SA10FG && UNDSP = 1), the ignition coil will be fired on the rising edge of the PIP signal, or 10° BTDC.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
dont drive like a dick is the easiest way.

and u could run ur stock tires

with my 32's and 5.0 i can get 12 city 14 combined and 17 highway if i try. im pretty sure that if i took a long drive and kept it at about 50 i could pull 20mpg but i havent tried ti yet.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
^ I am with stupid.

Power MPG are the questions, diesel is the answer...

Tires are the questions.. Pit Bull is the answer....

Absolutely falling in love with your rig... Bronco is the answer...

So, Dismal yer Bronc, 4BT, 6BT, 6.9/7.3IDI 4bd1t 6BD1t.. (Isuzy motor there) 4-53t Detroit Powerchoke, hell even a Maxipad... doesn;t matter, wrap it in Pit Bull ruber, and drive it til ya die.

·
Registered
649 Posts
josh you have a 3" Y? what were the noticable changes after install.
I did the Y, cat, and hooker aerochamber muffler all together with stock exhaust manifolds. I noticed that I lost low end torque but really woke it up. vroom vroom.

I later added headers and wasn't that impressed.

If I had to do it over I would go with stock manifolds, catco or magnaflow y pipe, then 2.5" single exhaust.

I'm fairly sure all TFI-based systems go to baseline timing during cranking.

Basically, when in cranking mode (SA10FG && UNDSP = 1), the ignition coil will be fired on the rising edge of the PIP signal, or 10° BTDC.
My base timing is 27.5 right now so sometimes it is hard to start. I tried retarding the timing using my ignition box during startup but it doesn't seem to kick in until the engine is running.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts