Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 1996 ford bronco. 5.8 351w. i have installed a winch, kc lights, and i have a sound system. the plan is to do the 3g 160 amp (i think) and get a optima or something simular. I want to order my stuff from fireguy50 but before i place the order i want to make sure i get everything i need. so..what do i need as far as type of alternator(side mount right?), what fuses, wires,what size pulley so i dont have to change my belt, ect ect. if you can give me direct links to what i need i would appercaite it.

Thanks

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
All of the parts you will need can be bought through Ryan (link). You're right, you'll need a side-mount alternator.

3G Alternator Harness: $20

3G Charge Cable Kit: $40. I know, you have to "build it yourself," but IMO it's worth the 30 minutes it takes to be able to adapt the install to your truck, rather than being limited by the amount of pre-assembled cable you ordered.

You can swap your old pulley onto the new alternator. If you just want to have a new pulley with all the other new parts, I'd recommend the 2-1/4" for max output at idle without voiding the warranty. Don't worry about having to change belt sizes, your tensioner is there to take up the slack.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Also if you want the cables already put together Ryan has them ready built too. This will be the best money spent on the 3g project with the best vendor.

·
Registered
496 Posts
All of the parts you will need can be bought through Ryan (link). You're right, you'll need a side-mount alternator.

3G Alternator Harness: $20
you have a '96 and this piece is not needed.

i've been researching this for a while for my '95 and went to one of those car audio shops today looking for a fuse (for my charge cable from alt to batt) and he said i didn't need one
what could short out from the alternator to the battery?
and don't forget to upgrade your ground wires, there are 3

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
you have a '96 and this piece is not needed.

i've been researching this for a while for my '95 and went to one of those car audio shops today looking for a fuse (for my charge cable from alt to batt) and he said i didn't need one
what could short out from the alternator to the battery?
and don't forget to upgrade your ground wires, there are 3
actually I believe the alternator itself could end up being the short.

I wouldn't take the advice of a car audio shop guy about whether my truck alternator charge cable should have a fuse.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i might go ahead and purchase the wiring harness for 20$. and wat ground cable do i need to replace? where can i get the cable at? thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i think i might go ahead and purchase the wiring harness for 20$. and wat ground cable do i need to replace? where can i get the cable at? thanks for the help everyone.
you'd be wasting $20. the point is your truck already has that same cable in it from Ford

oh and the one coming off of the negative terminal, the one to the block, and from block to frame i believe

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Oops, I forgot about your truck being a '95. You don't need Ryan's harness.

You don't have to do it at the same time as the alternator, but it doesn't hurt to replace your battery cables and grounds. I bought extra cable, terminals, and battery lugs from Ryan to do all my cables. Made a hell of a difference.

The grounds you'd want to replace are from the battery to the frame and frame to the block. At least those are the only two grounds I replaced on mine...I couldn't find any others.

EDIT: The factory ground cable goes from the battery to the frame (tied to the frame with a mid-cable terminal), then continues on to the engine block, under the alternator and behind the PS pump. It was a royal PITA to get it loose. I ran my block ground to the upper intake support, no problems so far.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright guess i wont get the harness just the alternator, postive wire kit, battery lugs, and ground wire

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how many feet of ground cable should i order?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just measure from you batt ot your block and give room for a little movement. As for the red cables. the mesurement needs to be the short red, fuse block and the longer red added all together. taking in account of where your mounting the fuse block. I made this mistake.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
how many feet of ground cable should i order?
IMO, as much as you can afford. I've found myself making battery cables for other vehicles with it. :toothless

But in all actuality, measure from your negative battery post to the connection on the frame, then from the frame connection to wherever you're going to ground the engine (upper intake support bar is the easiest, IMO). Then add 6" or so and round off to the next foot.

If you're doing your battery cables, don't forget to order battery lugs and terminals so you can actually connect the cable to something! I almost did that myself, because I was so concerned with the amount of cable I needed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok now im just couris got all stuff i need to order. but when i order will i get a tracking number or something in that manner so i can see when i will get the alternator?

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
You should, but it wouldn't hurt to specify in the 'Notes' section before you finalize your order. Ryan's usually pretty good about e-mailing a tracking number, though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i ordered the whole ordeal and im just curious how long it will take for ryan (fireguy50) to give me a email of my tracking number. thanks

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Shouldn't be more than a couple of days. If it's longer than that, just be patient. Ryan's a one-man-show and I hear he's had alot on his plate lately.

He usually gets orders out pretty quick, though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks. i no the money was taken out of my bank quick, but i ordered last night around 9:30. i dont expect anything yet im just curious.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts