Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel filters when I bought it, got completely packed with dirt to the point it wouldn't run. I bought some of these clear filters, they've been abused some and have held up great, plus I can now see when they're dirty. They are clogging up REALLY fast, like sometimes within only a few hours. Leads me to believe I have way too much sediment in my tank, because I don't know what else it can be?

I have one up by the carb, and one down in the frame rails...I've got a pic of it at home filled up with mud.

Question is, best way to completely rinse it out? Just take it off, dump it out, and rinse with water, spray in a shitload of WD-40 and swish it around?

Or do they make a product for this exactly?

Thanks...

·
Registered
48 Posts
not sure if i would try to rinse the filter out, esp with water! it'd be best to replace the element!

as for the tank, i would drain the tank (after using as much of the fuel as possible) into buckets for later use. this should pull a lot of the sediment out. then peer in, if the tank looks to be gritty or rough i would either A) take it and have it professionally cleaned and relined or B) get an aftermarket poly tank.

-cutts-

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
I would remove the glass filters out of the system also...seen them break from bouncing around and burn vehicles to the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
It's also amazing what happens if you just bag those crappy glass filters and/or the stock in-line garbage and put on a real fuel filter. I run one of the ones shown below on literally EVERY rig I own..and always have. Result: never ..not once ever..have I suffered any problem related to dirty fuel or water/condensation in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Any marine supply on line, or BoatersWorld, West marine etc stores. IIRC the complete assy is about 35 bucks and not much more with a chrome mount instead of black. The spin-on elements are maybe 15 bucks...and need to be changed religously once every five years or so..:toothless

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I run one of those on my EFI trail rig but keep this in mind..you still need an 'EFI' fuel filter betwen that one and yr fuel rail (or TBI feed)....the EFI 'final' filter is very, very fine. The upside is that you will seldom ever have to replace the EFI filter when you have one of the marine units upstream of it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestion bmc69, I'll look into getting one of those then. This was the best option I thought I had at the time, but, I can see where a glass filter isn't the best option offroad. It IS nice for troubleshooting knowing that "yep, my truck's running shitty because that's clogged"...nice to see what DIDN'T Make it to the carb, but then that asks the question "why the hell is the SECOND filter so dirty?!?! How did ALL THAT make it past the first filter!?!

I'll definitely be picking up one of those marine filters.

Does it really matter where it's mounted in relation to the carb, closer or further away the better?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The placesment of the filter doesn't really matter, but the closer it is to the carb, the more trash it catch from the lines and such just incase.

the plastic fram filters are just as good, some are clear, i used it on my trucks and also my diesel trucks.

if i remember right part number is g2 i think. but go to wally world and in the filter section they have them. one is clear the other is white i think. Never had problems with them, and they always catched the dirt before going to the motor, as i changed them often on the diesel tank i had in the bed.

plastic would be better the glass. I know it is nicer to just rinse the filter out but in the long run glass will break.

OH and fram fuel filters are $3 apeice or less. cheaper then that big filter setup up there.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I had a 1950 chev that had a lot of rust inside the tank. Apparrently it sat for a long time with no fuel in it. When it died, I pulled the pump on it and saw the diaghram was full of rust. I ended up pulling the tank and draining it of all the fuel, then I put about a gallon pail full of marble size rocks into it. Then I shook it back and forth, up and down and after doing this for a while, I got the garden hose and filled it with some water, drained /filled /drained shook it, and I did all that until all the crap was gone. Then I put the tank back on the car, poured a bottle of methyl Hydrate to convert any remaining water, filled up the tank and installed the new filter before the fuel pump. It was good after that.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
As for the tank, drop it out of the truck, dump out what ever is in the tank. take a 5 gallon bucket and strainer to strain the gas. Cheese cloth will do for dirt. and then rince the tank out and make sure the tank doesn't have a serious rust problem going on. If not, air dry it and reinstall it all.

If got rust problems best to replace it while you are there anyway.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
GAAA!!!!! Dude that's freakin' nasty! Was someone using your gas tank as a mash tank? I think I'd be looking for a new tank and lines at that point.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
what i was thinking when i saw the pics.

with all of that mudding you do it is getting in somehow. or someone is playing a bad joke on you.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed when I was filling up the last time we went out, it overfilled somewhere and dumped quite a bit of gas on the ground out the top of the tank, part of the reason I've parked the thing until I can get that fixed. I have no doubt I've got a large leak up top. :whiteflag

1 - 20 of 33 Posts