Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bronc has been going rough and has a surging idle and stalls when ideling. so i decided to pull me some codes. and help im scared.

some info about the car,
car is 80 mod bronco with a c6 gearbox, Engine is a 89 5l EFI engine, efi swap not done by me and looks like a bag of snakes.
i think a lot of the codes are gearbox related due to the ecm has 89 302 efi e4od written on it in yellow letters, (junkyard markings?)
theres no air pump.

so heres my codes in the order they got pooped out:
56-23-67-81-82-85-91-92-94-93-95-99-56-22-67-81-82-85-91-92-95-93-95-99

long pause and 1 then new set of codes:
34-56-97-95-99-34-56-67-95-99

as you can see i have a buttload of codes, so can anyone make some sense of this?
whitch ones can i ignore due to tranny beeing a c6 and witch ones do i need to investigate further?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
You should probably change the PCM over to the correct one, i.e. one made for an automatic (AOD would work fine).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should probably change the PCM over to the correct one, i.e. one made for an automatic (AOD would work fine).
eeep sounds expensive.

also a little addon to the info bout the car.
it runns good, as long as im moving but when the car stays still it has problems ideling, like when im stopping at a trafic ligth, it runns fine till i stop or rpm drops around 1000 to 1500 then starts having problems.
it usualy drops down to between 300 to 400 rpm then surges up to 1200 does that a coupple of times then surges between about 600 to 1200.
ive hooked up a accurate testing tach i have
when its in drive, it dies more easely than in neutral or park.

when the engine is cold it idles a little high but idles in all gears. and has no problems.

ive cheked the timing and its dead on 10degrees when the spout connector is out, and it adwances when its in.
over the last year ive swapped the MAP sensor and the tps,
ive cleaned and tested the IAC ,engine totaly refuses to idle when its diconnected, so it has to be ok i guess.

ive looked at the ford fuelinjection site, and my biggest suspicion is the tps code and the egr codes, most of those trans codes i dont think is the issue but maybe im wrong?

so ive been thinking bout buying one of those egr eliminators and im gonna go outside now and test the tps sensor agean, this time with the engine ideling.

EDIT:
been outside and tested agean.
TPS voltage with key on 0.65V with engine ideling 0.65V when i rev it and lets go it drops to a 1000rpm for a second or 3 then drops to 300 and starts surging.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
:stupid:

Look up the part number on the PCM, and see what it is ment to fit. If its not for your combo, which it doesn't sound like it is, then got to a junkyard and try to find one that is the right fit for you...

I think I paid $55 for a PCM at a local yard for a 95 voyager pos I worked on :thumbup

Then if you still have issues, then you can look at other parts ;)

KC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:stupid:

Look up the part number on the PCM, and see what it is ment to fit. If its not for your combo, which it doesn't sound like it is, then got to a junkyard and try to find one that is the right fit for you...

I think I paid $55 for a PCM at a local yard for a 95 voyager pos I worked on :thumbup

KC
ok been outside and looked at my pcm and the "identety code" on it is S0A1
i cant seem to find that one in the list on the fordfuelinjection.com site.

there is also the issue of me living in norway, a country with taxing based on engine sice, so theres VERY few bronco's or other Large v8 cars from ford. or others.

so if im gonna buy me a new one it will be ebay ftw, so on the list in this link:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17
whitch ones can i use, i guess all the Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 5,0L SD-Bank / AOD ? or can i also use the ones wo the trans number in the end.

but before i go spending 100 bucks + shipping (ebay prices) on a pcm lets do a quick look over of my codes,
Codes that are trans related and ignored atm:
KOEO codes: 56-67-91-92-94-93-95-99
CM codes: 56-97-99

Non trans codes but gear i know are missing:
81: Air management 2 circuit failure (AM2/TAD). thats air injector rigth?
82: shoud only be a koer code but i dint run koer.
85: Canister Purge Solenoid circuit failure. (not fitted)
95:Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC senses infinite resistance to ground from the fuel pump on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit. (fuel pump is on a diy circiut done by the dude that swapped to efi)

Now ower to the codes i think can be of interest:
KOEO
23:Closed throttle TPS voltage higher or lower than expected. (ive tested and its at 0.65V shoud it be closer to 1V?
22: MAP/BP sensor out of self test range. hrmm need to test it.

CM:
34: PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed above the closed limit of 0.67 volts. (and this is whut?)

so lets for a second ignore trans and ask can those codes explain a bad idle?
also ive spoken to the dude that did the efi swap, and he assures me that the engine and pcm fit eachoter but that the angine used to be on a different trans.
and the swap was done almost 10 years ago, and both the previus owners (dude that swapped and the dude i bougth car from claims taht the surge in idle havent been there before so in the 3 years its been sitting since axle failure,it must have developed this issue i think it may have idled ok a day or 3 after i brogth it back to life)

im not trying to argue or anything, its just that i just spent a buttload of money on parts for the car (new diff, tires and more) and its gonna be a while before i can think of doing a 100buck + part buy.
and that surging idle and dying at stopligths are realy annoying.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I think Sig EP Blue already answered your question, so I 'll say SigEPBlue's response is my final answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Sig EP Blue already answered your question, so I 'll say SigEPBlue's response is my final answer.
Okidiki,
but i have 2 last questions.

1: repeat from last post:
if im gonna buy me a new one it will be ebay ftw, so on the list in this link:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17
whitch ones can i use, i guess all the Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 5,0L SD-Bank / AOD ? or can i also use the ones wo the trans number in the end.

2:
i disconnected the vacume hose from the EGR, and it made a huge difference, it idlest perfectly at 760 to 780rm and i can for t he first time stop at a stopligth without it dying,
BUT with that hose dissconnected i do get a chek engine ligth.
so heres the question:
Is driving without the vacume hose on th egr gonna be harmfull to the engine, or can i drive it this way until i get a new PCM.

The car is gonna get a LPG convertion (propane) this fall, so i will change the pcm to the correct one to be shure my petrol system is working well before i add the lpg kit to it.

sorry if some of my questions have been a bit newbish, but this is my first Ford fuel injected car, im damm good with audi and vw systems, but i have no experience with the ford systems

also, thanks for the help, gonna go searching on ebay for a suitable pcm but it may take a month before i can afford it. :duh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts