Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

I Stuck my Hylift where the sun don't shine

5K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  huggyb1972 
#1 ·
I was putting my spare tire and storage tote back in my Bronco after bring my new bumper home. I tought man I should make a mount for the hy lift on the new bumper ;) right? It just did look like the thing I wanted plus it is an easy target for some A-hole to pluck off when I have my back turned.

I was trying to think where I could put this jack that woud have easy access and not cost any interior room and Bing:doh0715: right there at the front of the Bronco under the hood there is this void that is shielded somewhat from the elemets and easy to access with out having to rearrange the interior because my wife and kids brought enough clothes and shoes to cove an Army

I had some 3/4x3/4 angle lying around and I cut some 1 1/4"x 3'"x1/4" plate to lay the jack on and used a 7/16" bolt to make a set of guide pins to hold the jack down tight to the mount I'll get some clevis pins to hold it down tomorrow when the hardware opens up. the uprights were around 19" long and were welded rght to the frame and a little gusset was added to stabilize it to the core support.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's what Bronconut said so I said I'll just throw it out there for some others to feast on. FSB improvment

#5 ·
Nope fits with room to spare. That would have been dumb to put it in there and not see if the hood was gonna close. I had the foot setting on top of the fluid resovoir at first and no touchy.

#11 ·
Think it was a 91 T-bird I have it my MAF write up It has a nice big flat spot on the side for a sorkle. It's only draw back is the inlet hole is
on the bottom but that will get blocked off later when the high water stuff goes in.

#7 ·
NICE! I really dig that man. Keeps it out of thieving eyes, the elements and keeps it within easy reach.

Great job bro. :thumbup

#10 ·
The horizontial support keeps the handle supported well above the battery and that is the negative post so no harm no foul.

I got to thinking after it went in I could mount it to the core support and then it would be more flexible with the truck and easier to remove for tear downs, but hey you can't get better if you never do anything.

#13 ·
That's a really clever idea. But something about it bugs me for some reason. Maybe it's the 'what if' of it somehow jarring loose and falling between the radiator and engine.

Screamin'

#15 ·
I applaud the ingenuity, but I think it will end badly.

What happens when you wheel and flex the frame a little? If you leave it there, use wing nuts on the studs, drill a hole above the nut and slide a cotter pin there to add extra insurance it won't come loose.

#16 ·
Already done I used the kind that have the hoop on one end and clips back to itself. It ain't goin anywhere it's pinned in place.

Now I just add some chain to the clips and I'm set next will be making a better one that bolts to the core support.

#18 ·
I don't know:scratchhe Yes mine is a 48" the fender on the passenger side has about 2" in side it and if you flipped the end hook 90deg to the leg maybe gain another 2" but the foot would be over the coolant and windsheild washer jug unless you removed it. the foot that is. That area is just perfect for this jack the inner fenders are 68" apart so theres plenty of width I could make it fit.

#20 ·
Everyone's a critic. Nice execution!

Should work fine unless you are on your lid.

My preference is to take weight away from the heavy front and move it to the back to balance the rig.

#30 ·
I am not worried that the jack will be to hot. At the point when it will be needed the gloves will be out and somebodys gonna get dirty anyway so who gives a s*** just get my Bronco rollin and back on the road trail or whatever if they're worried about a cool jack get some ice and tampon and buy an Envoy and follow the ruts I'll be leaving. I want you to think I don't have all my stuff and then a compartment opens and I pull out a offroad Swiss Army knife (so to speak) fix my little problem and watch'em stand there with their mouths open going damn did he just do that. That's Ed (AKA Huggyb1972) I do stuff different and it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.