Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went wheeling today and half way threw the trip I started to get a load clicking at times. Sounded like it was coming from the left front wheel. It mostly happened when i was in 4 low and really had to get into the throttle. Once I got home it kinda hit me that it might be a front hub slipping?

Am I on the right track with my thinking?

Thanks

95 Bronco with 302 Auto Trans and auto hubs?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
wow that blows. its easy to take apart and check........

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK now one question and excuse my ignorance. I have never swapped manual for auto hubs. I read the tech write up and have it saved for future reference. Now my question is that once I swap the hubs, is there anything else that needs to be done? Nothing disconnected from the electrical aspect?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
OK now one question and excuse my ignorance. I have never swapped manual for auto hubs. I read the tech write up and have it saved for future reference. Now my question is that once I swap the hubs, is there anything else that needs to be done? Nothing disconnected from the electrical aspect?
Nope....but if you have 3 bolt auto hubs, you'll need the conversion kit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I did research that aspect of it and found that I do need the conversion kit. That's for your insight and awnsers to my questions.

Tuna

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hubs; been there. One comment: the circle clip that holds in the assembly, there are tools at Kragen, Autozone, they look like screwdriver handles with "Dental Tool" tips. So much easier with the right tool. Also there is a snap ring on the end of the shaft: Snap ring pliers. Worth the $20 (?) for these pieces.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Yeah I did research that aspect of it and found that I do need the conversion kit. That's for your insight and awnsers to my questions.

Tuna
Best place to get one is the PAP JY. Then you can see how it all comes apart. Kind of like a trial run... Most Ford 4WD will have the 3 parts per side to do the conversion... 2 nuts and the locking washer will all the holes

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Take the hub apart and check it out, if its looking ok (no metal shavings or other simular chunks), pull the rotor and hub assembly out and check the wheel bearings...if they arent the culprit, it may be the uv joints.

If it only does it in 4wd, it probably is the hubs...

KC

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't pulled anything apart yet, But yes it's only in 4x. Drove 60+ miles home on the freeway and had no sounds or issues. Pretty confident it's the hubs. Thanks guys.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
If the hubs are fine, might be the spider gears. I had them go out and made a terrible noise..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts