Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres what happened. I drove to colorado this weeked which was the worst trip ever. I had almost no problems on the way up except that my transmission "barffed" out a bit of fluid. that problem was solved by letting the truck sit for a few moments. Anyhow in Flagstaff my waterpump hose blew. I drove the truck to the closest exit which was 3 miles away (first mistake) when I got off the exit the truck completely died. Smoke everywhere. Some guy in a powerstroke pulled me too a nearby parking lot then took me to a napa Where I got the parts to fix the truck. I let it cool for 30 mins, fixed the hose then the truck fired right up. It drove and ran with no problems. What IM wondering is should I go through and replace the head gaskets. I just want to get some feed back on some of your Ideas. Im going to be replacing the rear main and a few other things. any imput would be helpful
thanks.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
hydro locking would mean that you filled one of the cylinders up with a water or coolant...if you want have a compression test run on the engine that will give you an idea if you killed the head gaskets or not.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redwagon said:
hydro locking would mean that you filled one of the cylinders up with a water or coolant...if you want have a compression test run on the engine that will give you an idea if you killed the head gaskets or not.

ok I forgot to mention there is no white smoke or anything coming from the exaust so I may have just over heated it to the point where it just shut itself down. there is no knocking or pinging or anything odd

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it driveable? It is not hydrolocked if it is. My understanding on hydro locked is like when you take a Jet Ski and get water into the engine where you can't turn it over because the water won't compress.

Are you "crop dusting" out your exhaust, where there is a big cloud of white smoke. That is what happens when you have a blown head gasket and coolant is getting into the cylinder.

Is your oil looking like chocolate mousse? That is what happens if your blown head gasket is letting coolant into your oil passages.

Is your power down? And you have to rev a lot higher to get the same power? That is when you have a blown head gasket that leaks between cylinders.

If you have none of those, I wouldn't replace your head gasket unless you need to remove the head.

96ProjectBronco

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You should be ok. Watch for coolant loss and check your oil every day for water in it. If everything stays normal for a week and you don't notice any power loss, then you should be fine.

I once overheated a 400M in a Gran Torino so bad the motor siezed. A cop pulled over and when he saw how hot it was he called the FD. LOL. That was a funny day.

After letting it cool all the way down overnight I replaced the bad water pump and hoses and it fired right up. It ran great for another 20K miles before I finally broke the timing chain (I abused that car like you wouldn't believe).

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
I agree with red, Run a compression test and see what the results are... Probably just got really hot, but it sounds like it survived. If the results are good then you might wanna go ahead a start throwing a few bucks back just in case something else goes wrong.... Mine did the same thing once.. The water pump went out a few months later, then a head gasket about 4 mos after that...Probably not related but If your like me cash for emergency repairs is hard to come by some days.. It's nice to have a little truck fund laying around----Fog

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no power loss Im not crop dusting it just scared the piss outta me. I guess I wanted to know if this had happened to anyone I am putting a new radiator in it and doing a motor flush. So it sounds like I escaped with hurting it too bad.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Chalk it up as, "I'm one lucky mo-fo," and enjoy your ride. :)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hydroed... hehe. Naw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts