Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

I Think my Cats Were Crap

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sock Puppet 
#1 ·
I knew my catalysts were a little plugged, and after debating whether or not to delete them, I decided to give the folks at Magnaflow some of my hard-earned American Dollars. My order showed up last Wednesday, but I just had time to install today:

The install was fun filled and exciting as you would expect, but I'm pleased with the results (I know, I hadn't tightened the clamp when I took these pics):

To speed up the job and make it easier to to reach some of the bolts and what-not, I used my reciprocating saw to cut the old system in a few key places. This also gave me the chance to look at the old catalysts.

Fist catalyst:

And part of the second catalyst:

Yeah, I'm thinking it was a good call to replace them.;)

Now I just need to decide which muffler to go with and get it all finished.

See less See more
#3 ·
Top it off with a Magnaflow muffler.

Whatever you do, stay away from Blowmaster (Flowmaster).

The baffles in the one on my BKO right now have broken loose and rattle like a banshee whenever the engine idles.

Sounds terrific going through a drivethrough.

I have a 3" Moroso Spiralflow on my SuperDuty that I like.I may put one of those on the BKO.

#5 ·
LOL, just replaced the cats on the F150...damn thing wouldn't run above 50 in 3rd gear @WOT :banghead: Runs like a scalded dog now. I hope your results where the same. :thumbup:

KC

#6 ·
LMAO you use cats:barf

#8 ·
Uh, it's a '96 so it is not exempt from emissions testing in most places. No cat(s), no pass. Besides that, the '96s have OBDII which uses a post cat O2 sensor. I felt it was better to do it right than rig crap to somewhat work. I also found a great deal on the system, $250 shipped, so it was just as cost-effective as using an aftermarket Y-pipe and running without cats. That's all before you get into the benefits of cleaning up your exhaust....

#9 ·
Yes. I bought it from AutoAnything when they were offering their 15% off + free shipping, so total cost was right at $250. It's not truly a direct fit, though. The tail pipe after the second cat is fairly long, so it will have to be trimmed to fit the stock muffler; but the angle was also wrong and it wouldn't be a good fit. You might be able to force it, but I didn't want to put it in a bind. I decided to go with an aftermarket muffler and have a new pipe made. The stock muffler is pretty rusted, anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.