Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[rhetorical question mode] Is it a bad thing when your 9 year old/ Windows 98 / 500mghz Celeron CPU makes noises like its got termites having dinner? [/rhetorical mode]

Ive babied this thing for the last 9 years nearly. I lost count of the reformats, HD swaps, RAM upgrades, video card changes, etc etc etc..... (all hand-me-downs from my son)
I think it may be time to retire the ol' girl. What say the masses?

My son has built probably a half dozen systems in the time Ive had this old store bought "POS". Granted, his will run programs mine would get the squirts just considering but, I like simple.

What Im curious about is: Does anyone else out there have a working CPU anywhere near as old as mine?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have an 8 year old unit that'll run anything I need it to up to autocad 06. haven't tried 07, but supposedly it wants ALOT more processor than 06. my dad uses the computer more than I do, it's more of a backup than anything but still does get used on a pretty regular basis.

the desktop will word process, reasearch, play music, and do some video all day without so much as a hickup since i got rid of that god forsaken windows ME 1.0 that came on it. **shudders**

Justin

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
HAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

To tell you the truth, i still run some vintage machines just for shits and giggles. One of them being an Apple IIe, the other one is a 133 with Windows 3.1 on it. I actually have the date set wrong so the system doesn't shit itself and wipe itself out.

I don't however use them on a daily basis. I run the Apple IIe to play Oregon Trail on it from time to time, and the old 133 just sits the majority of the time. The IIe i think is circa 1988, and the 133 is from the early 90's.

The first thing they pound into your skull when going for your A+ certification training is that most hardware is built to last 5-7 years in a desktop computer. I would consider yourself lucky, and for god's sake don't push that old machine anymore than you have to.

The termite sound is more than likely your processor failing.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I bet Junior sets the clock on your VCR for ya doesn't he. :goodfinge

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
I've got an old Tandy 1000 RSX in the folks closet that still works. I think I have Leisure Suit Larry on it......

·
Explorer driving
4,193 Posts
Wow, reminds me of high school when we used Apple IIc's..when a program was written

10 blah blah blah
20 blah blah blah
30 blah...you get the idea.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My very first machine was a Timex Sinclair 1000, it used normal music cassette tapes for magnetic storage. Then I upgraded to a apple IIc. Skipped right past the IIe. That apple IIc setup cost $2000 bucks in the late 80's.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Thats my diagnosis too. It changes pitch according to load. I guess its time to let junior build me that monster he keeps saying I need. :rollingeyes smilie
I'm not really doubting what you're saying, nor your diagnosis. However, I hear a hum/squeal coming out of my speakers if they're loud. It changes when the CPU usage goes up.. it's been doing it for as long as I remember. However, if you have your speakers down or off, then I think you might have some problems, like you and Rob said.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Make sure if you retire it to do a few things:

a) donate it to a charitable organization, e.g. Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.
b) completely wipe and write your hard drive; search a little, but this is to prevent data theft.
c) donate the software CDs WITH the PC so the next owner/victim can use it.

:thumbup

I know your son wants to build you a killer system, but IMHO, there's no reason to spend a huge wad on a system right now. None of the hardware advances in the past year or two have been that great, Vista is a complete failure, and ATI & nVidia want too much for their top-of-the-line graphics cards. Many evolutionary increments have been made, but nothing screams to me ZOMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT!!!!11onE!!!eleventy!!1one!!!1

If it were me building a totally new system, I'd probably go with EITHER CPU companies (AMD or intel, more likely the latter as of late), a gig or two of DDR2/3 RAM, two SATA-II drives in hardware RAID0/1 , a sub-$200 video card, and Ubuntu & WinXP as my OSes. Motherboards are plenty good these days that you shouldn't have to worry about much else. I would encourage you to look at an efficient power supply though, such as Antec's Earthwatts lineup. They are rock-solid, yet have over 80% efficiency.
http://http://www.antec.com/us/pro_p_EarthWatts.php

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I just revived my PIII laptop. First time it's been fired up in 3 years or so. Of course, all of the settings in CMOS were gone. :toothless Both my WinXP and Mepis Linux partitions worked perfectly. YaY!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a slot 1 PIII 700mhz somewhere, not sure if that would work in your comp, but if you want it you can have it for shipping.

Just chucked a case of PII's about a week ago. Just missed em I guess.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Sig, that might be a little bit above his skill level and budget. Good adivce though, nonetheless.

I see no reason against going down to your local BestBuy or equivalent and getting the cheapest desktop that you see. It's amazing what you can get for 400 bucks, all prebuilt and ready to go.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I've got a Tandy Color Computer 2 in my attic. I think I might even still have the cassette player/tape drive somewhere for it too.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
Sig, that might be a little bit above his skill level and budget. Good adivce though, nonetheless.

I see no reason against going down to your local BestBuy or equivalent and getting the cheapest desktop that you see. It's amazing what you can get for 400 bucks, all prebuilt and ready to go.
You're right, there is nothing wrong with that.

but give me that $400 and i can build you a computer that's *probably* twice as fast as what you are buying off the shelf. Give me a week, (three to four days to get parts shipped in) and i will have it prebuilt and ready to go.

There is nothing wrong with pre-built systems though. A computer is just like a car, buy what fits you best.

·
Registered
547 Posts
[....... Does anyone else out there have a working CPU anywhere near as old as mine?[/QUOTE]

My Commodore 64 is doin' fine.:rockon:rockon

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I have an IBM Aptiva w/133 mhz with a 2gig hard drive and 16 mb video card w/ the best OS ever invented (IMO) windows 98 :rockon:

Sorry, no puter parts I gotll fit urs...mattera fact I dont own that many cuz Im afraid to touch much in them boxes :toothless:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts