Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i posted a while back about a vacuum leak and it could be that, but when heading for lunch after work, i turned the truck on, warmed it up abit, as soon as i hit reverse it surges and then it died.....but suddently it didnt want to start, thats where it struck.......only time that ever happened was when i first got the truck and had a bad TPS.......so i got home today, and pulled out my multimeter and checked the standing ohm.......it was way bellow the 3k that needs to be in idle

i got a new one from warranty of the old one, but i wanted you opinion guys, any tips to testing it when i get the new one in? or any tips you can give me?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,100 Posts
Reactions: jermil01

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
29,100 Posts
Yo Fox,
Ford states when testing TPS, "MANY VOLTMETERS WILL AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE RANGES WHEN MEASURING TPS OUTPUT FROM IDLE TO WOT. WHEN A VOLTMETER IS USED TO MEASURE TPS OUTPUT FROM IDLE TO WOT, THE METER SCALES OR CHANGES RANGES AUTOMATICALLY. THERE MAY BE AN ERRONEOUS METER DISPLAY UNTIL THE VOLTMETER HAS LOCKED TO THE APPROPRIATE VOLTAGE READING. THE ERRONEOUS METER DISPLAY DOES NOT REPRESENT A DEFECTIVE TPS. NOTE: IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE "RANGE LOCK" FEATURE ON MANY METERS BE SET FOR CHECKING TPS VOLTAGE..."

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YUP!!!!! My TPS was bad!!! my revs went back down to 800 rpm like they should, engine running smoother, and no stalling when i go into reverse!

So tip, If you think its a vacuum leak check your TPS, do a quick resistance check, mine was like at 1k when it should have been at 3k -3.8k or 4k ohms

Reactions: miesk5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts