Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some advice, i had a shop in jacksonville install a new motor for me. When i went to pickup my truck today the guy tells me my tranny is slipping. well this is news tome a drive it around the block at his shop, and slipping is an understatement!!! 2500 rpms just to get it to go forward, and rverse is even worse!!! I ask him what he did to my trans because it drove fine before. He said he lost some fluid when he pulled the motor so he tried to top it off, then overfilled it, tried to drain some out and said the fluid was burnt looking so he drained it and refilled with new fluid. Is that enough to kill my tranny? Is there anything i can try to do to fix this? Or is time to replace the trans? Any advice would be greatrly appreciated thanks in advance guys, sorry about the long rambling post just very upset about this.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So what is he doing to fix your tranny since he screwed it up?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well I dont know about the AOD's, but , the C6's have an adjustment bolt for the band. It is on the side right behind the bell housing. It looks like a bolt and a nut stacked right on top each other. One locks it in place and the other adjusts it. I think you want to torque this thing at 10ftlbs or there is a procedure that requires you spinning the shaft while tightening it.

Do you know and trust this guy? He sounds like he is trying to hustle someone. I wonder if he backed the tension off so it would slip to sell you a tranny too? He is claiming he overfilled the tranny as well. The thing about that is you cant overfill an automatic. If you do get too much fluid in it the tranny will just burp it out of the vent. It is sort of messy , but , I know a tranny builder that fills them up like that after the build. He has been doing it forever too. Filling the tranny up with new fluid wouldnt make it slip. The new detergent may have freed up some gunk , but , usually that wouldnt make it not move. It could destroy the pump.

·
Registered
457 Posts
did he run it while it was low? he coulda cooked it while it was down on fluid possibly?

the 4r70w doesnt have an adjustment and its in the aod family of trannys. although somewhere i read you can adjust the bands by bending or adding metal to it or something like that. an actual modification rather then an adjustment really but i did read that somewhere. it does sound sorta fishy that it suddenly slips.

could also be the torque converter maybe? or he never added enough fluid when he got the level correct, automatics slip when there low. and they also wont engage or shift either. cuz they dont have fluid to pressurize the valves/solenoids and engage the bands that shift it

actually there should be fluid in the torque converter, if he never added enough fluid into the tranny and is saying its slipping, it could actually be trying to apply power to air trapped in the converter and just spinning inside there. i think he poured fluid out of the converter myself

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did you check the fluid yourself with the truck running and on level ground? He may just be an idiot. I have a C-6 so I dont know anything about yours but if you drain your fluid by dropping the pan and you have a filter/pickup tube in it he might have knocked it loose:shrug I did this on my Dads GM and the thing would act just as you describe till i dropped the pan and reinstalled the filter properly. If you don't figure it out no question about it he owes you a new trans. And what ever you do make sure its rebuilt not used.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm headed out now to check the fluid , his position is I have no proof the tranny was good before he started working on it. If he drained the tc will it fill back up on its own or do I need to pull it? Also I need to check on the tv cable. I'll keep you posted guys thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, went out and idled the truck for a few minutes and backed up and drove forward a few times to get in gear, checked the fluid it is about 2 fingers above the cross hatched area of the dipstick. fluid appears clean and pink but has a slight burnt odor to it. when truck is put in gear there is no feeling of engagement motor speed doesnt drop or anythingin forward or reverse. i checked the tv cable adjustment it looks about right on the throttle body. as far as filling the tc should i just let it idle for a while and keep checking it periodically? thanks for all the help so far guys :banghead

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bronco Noob: You're on the right track with the tv cable adjustment. No external band adjustment like on a c-6. Sounds as though when mechanic changed the motor He should've checked the tv cable pressure.

Driving it around with the tv cable out of adjustment will quickly FRY an AOD transmission! You need to install a fluid pressure guage to the tv port located on the passenger side of the transmission and verify correct tv pressure. Do a search on all of the particulars as the web is full of illustrated procedures on how to do this. Hope you can save your tranny, but........

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
i think theres a youtube vid on adjusting the tv cable. I would change the atf again too. Both dropping the pan, new filter, and draining the tc by pulling off the cover plate. use regular mercon, you can use merconv, but I always used mercon on the aods and had no problems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
if your tranny had high mileage and hasnt been serviced regularly then a fluid change can cause the slipping. ask me how i know. my e4od drove perfect when i bought ny bronco. then decided to change the fluid and it slipped like hell and had to replace it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
did he seat the torque converter properly? if not that might be a problem?

if he didn't adjust the tv cable correctly when he reinstalled the engine it can fry a AOD in a less than a mile by glazing the clutches and cause it to slip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you drive the truck to the shop for the motor replacement? Was it driving fine before the new motor? If it was working fine before the engine install, Hold your ground. There is always small claims court. If it had high miles, At a minimum the shop should give you a DEEP DISCOUNT on a rebuild since it was working when it went in. Is this someone you trust? If not take it somewhere else for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
580 Posts
did he seat the torque converter properly? if not that might be a problem?

I didnt consider this either. Also not having the TC in its home can cause the bell housing to break when they reinstalled it. I have seen that happen

·
Registered
116 Posts
My friend just went through this with his Blazer. He sent it to a mechanic to have a B&M Hammer shifter put in, well, a long story short.
"It shifted fine on the way there as usual. I was in the truck with him.
He dropped it off, and picked it up a week later, and his third gear is gone!
It even stated in the directions that if not properly hooked up, the tranny will be toast.
I know this is a different story. However.
The tranny was fine when you took it there. He warned the mechanic if a good tranny was not put in, they were going to be sitting at the magistrate, since he had a witness that the tranny was fine!
They are putting a new trans in for him right now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts